lower your total alkalinity - do I have an issue

surferbum

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2013
North Scottsdale
My TA measures between 110 and 120. When the pool is being used much, the PH might sometimes raises 0.1 between daily testing. Do I need to do anything to attempt to lower TA? I'm tending to not do anything but am unsure.

If I need to lower TA, what is the best way to add the acid to lower the pH to 7.2 prior to aeration? I have an in-floor cleaning system for water return. Should I spread the liquid acid evenly along the length of the pool? you actually have one of the above issues before lowering your TA.

The best way to add acid is to pour it slowly in front of a return jet, while the pump us running.

How quickly you want to lower the TA depends on how annoying you find the constant PH increase. If adding acid regularly isn't a problem, just lower the PH to 7.2 each time it gets to 7.8. If the PH increase is more annoying, you can lower the TA more quickly by following the directions in Pool School.

The best way to add acid is to pour it slowly in front of a return jet, while the pump us running.

How quickly you want to lower the TA depends on how annoying you find the constant PH increase. If adding acid regularly isn't a problem, just lower the PH to 7.2 each time it gets to 7.8. If the PH increase is more annoying, you can lower the TA more quickly by following the directions in Pool School.

Thanks.

His earlier IPSSA work didn't come from me. It's mostly his later work such as those "Recent Articles" where he used some information from me. In one document he has a Disclaimer where he writes: "This document contains information obtained from authentic, reliable and highly regarded sources."

John Wojtowicz did experiments he reported in the JSPSI article Factors Affecting Loss of Carbon Dioxide that are much more relevant, but the fundamental chemistry is very basic so doesn't need anyone to state the obvious that 1) pools are over-carbonated and 2) greater aeration will increase the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing. John's main contribution was seeing that the effect of TA on the outgassing rate varied roughly as the square of the TA so well beyond its effect on the over-carbonation. The effect of pH and TA on the degree of over-carbonation is also fundamental chemistry that I show in this chart, but does not account for this second-order TA effect.

It is best to attribute the reasons for the chemical and physical effects in the pool to the fundamental science rather than to individuals. That way it helps to prevent all of these ridiculous and often incorrect myths that are purported to be facts in the pool and spa industry, often to promote economic gains to those manufacturing or selling chemicals.

I love the fact that we have easily the best resources available anywhere....on here...for free!!!!!

Who would of thought that a fox guarding a hen hut was just not right....chemical companies are invested in ensuring the general public believes what they promote.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.