Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lower your total alkalinity - do I have an issue

1. Back To Top    #1

lower your total alkalinity - do I have an issue

My TA measures between 110 and 120. When the pool is being used much, the PH might sometimes raises 0.1 between daily testing. Do I need to do anything to attempt to lower TA? I'm tending to not do anything but am unsure.

If I need to lower TA, what is the best way to add the acid to lower the pH to 7.2 prior to aeration? I have an in-floor cleaning system for water return. Should I spread the liquid acid evenly along the length of the pool? you actually have one of the above issues before lowering your TA.
    Shotcrete, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue interior finish
    Pentair EasyTouch with wireless, IntelliFlo VS+ SVRS pump
    Paramount PV3 infloor cleaner & MDX3 drain, Heliocol solar heating
    Perimeter 94', 13866 gallons, Max. dimensions 33' x 14, depth 3'6"-5'0", Baja entry & knife-edge end.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: lower your total alkalinity - do I have an issue

The best way to add acid is to pour it slowly in front of a return jet, while the pump us running.

How quickly you want to lower the TA depends on how annoying you find the constant PH increase. If adding acid regularly isn't a problem, just lower the PH to 7.2 each time it gets to 7.8. If the PH increase is more annoying, you can lower the TA more quickly by following the directions in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    The best way to add acid is to pour it slowly in front of a return jet, while the pump us running.

How quickly you want to lower the TA depends on how annoying you find the constant PH increase. If adding acid regularly isn't a problem, just lower the PH to 7.2 each time it gets to 7.8. If the PH increase is more annoying, you can lower the TA more quickly by following the directions in Pool School.
    Thanks.
    Perimeter 94', 13866 gallons, Max. dimensions 33' x 14, depth 3'6"-5'0", Baja entry & knife-edge end.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have some water features in my pool. If these are running for a few hours, will the pH rise up?

Found some articles written by Lowry which reinforces many of the ideas here.

5. Back To Top    #5

Any water features will try to raise the pH.

I think Bob Lowry gets some of what he writes based on information from Richard (chem geek).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

His earlier IPSSA work didn't come from me. It's mostly his later work such as those "Recent Articles" where he used some information from me. In one document he has a Disclaimer where he writes: "This document contains information obtained from authentic, reliable and highly regarded sources."

John Wojtowicz did experiments he reported in the JSPSI article Factors Affecting Loss of Carbon Dioxide that are much more relevant, but the fundamental chemistry is very basic so doesn't need anyone to state the obvious that 1) pools are over-carbonated and 2) greater aeration will increase the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing. John's main contribution was seeing that the effect of TA on the outgassing rate varied roughly as the square of the TA so well beyond its effect on the over-carbonation. The effect of pH and TA on the degree of over-carbonation is also fundamental chemistry that I show in this chart, but does not account for this second-order TA effect.

It is best to attribute the reasons for the chemical and physical effects in the pool to the fundamental science rather than to individuals. That way it helps to prevent all of these ridiculous and often incorrect myths that are purported to be facts in the pool and spa industry, often to promote economic gains to those manufacturing or selling chemicals.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In the Industry

I love the fact that we have easily the best resources available anywhere....on here...for free!!!!!

Who would of thought that a fox guarding a hen hut was just not right....chemical companies are invested in ensuring the general public believes what they promote.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooladdict View Post
    I love the fact that we have easily the best resources available anywhere.
    Ditto.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ditto!
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump