Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time poster with heater questions

1. Back To Top    #1

First time poster with heater questions

First time poster hoping to not make a mistake.

Re: Jandy LX heater

Since our pool was constructed in 2006, we have never had a heater. I really never thought about getting one. Recently, a friend installed a pool and received a heater as part of the package deal. He says the heater would not work for him and he gave it to me.

Although Im very greatfull for the heater, I don't think it will work for me either. I'm asking for your opinion.

My fuel source is Propane. I think this unit uses Natural Gas. Can it be converted to propane?

During my limited investigation, it appears that this heater is not to be used for Salt water. Is there one made for SW?

I cant find any model or serial number other than Jandy LX. Is there a secret panel that provide more detailed info?

Thanks for reading and look foward to replies and suggestion.

Scott
    S. Louisiana
    26,000 Gal, SW, IG Vinyl liner, Zodiac LM3 generator, Stay Rite cartridge filter, Stay Rite pump, Polaris Booster and cleaner, all started in 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: First time poster with heater questions

Don't fall for the hype about buying a special heater for a salt pool. It's just that, hype. As long as you maintain your chemicals you can use the heater. As for the conversion, yes you can convert it. You need to convert the gas valve and replace the orifices out for ones that are for propane. Propane orifices have a smaller hole in them.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

^^^What he said...on both counts.

I've known people who have converted to a salt pool using their existing heater without any issues. Just continue maintaining proper water chemistry.

On the heater, the main conversion item is the orifices. I have converted grills and ovens from NG to propane and vice-versa. Replacing the orifices was the main task. You may need to replace the regulator as well - check your owners manual or the heater manufacturer's web site.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks so much for the info.

Scott
    26,000 Gal, SW, IG Vinyl liner, Zodiac LM3 generator, Stay Rite cartridge filter, Stay Rite pump, Polaris Booster and cleaner, all started in 2006

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Scott
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's the manual: http://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/...ter-manual.pdf

Part numbers for the propane gas orifaces. Depends on your altitude.

17 Nat. Orifice (0-3K ft) (Set of 20) All R0327900
    17 Nat. Orifice (3K-6K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328000
    17 Nat. Orifice (6K-9K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328100
    17 LP Orifice (0-5K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328200
    17 LP Orifice (5K-10K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328300
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    Here's the manual: http://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/...ter-manual.pdf

Part numbers for the propane gas orifaces. Depends on your altitude.

17 Nat. Orifice (0-3K ft) (Set of 20) All R0327900
    17 Nat. Orifice (3K-6K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328000
    17 Nat. Orifice (6K-9K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328100
    17 LP Orifice (0-5K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328200
    17 LP Orifice (5K-10K ft) (Set of 20) All R0328300

Wow,

Thanks for that info. Now I have to ask because I don't want to assume, is a Laars LX250 and a Jandy LX250 the same machine?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
    Wow,

Thanks for that info. Now I have to ask because I don't want to assume, is a Laars LX250 and a Jandy LX250 the same machine?
    You will also have to replace the gas valve. Laars became jandy which became zodiac.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

You don't have to replace the entire gas valve. You can replace the spring in the valve and you are good.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    You don't have to replace the entire gas valve. You can replace the spring in the valve and you are good.
    It can be harder than you think to find the right spring.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't know what spring you need for this valve but I'll make a general statement - I've found that the smaller hardware stores, like Ace, have a much better selection of springs than the big-box stores.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

12. Back To Top    #12

That heater definitely won't work on propane. Just let me pm you my address and we can split the shipping to get that heater off your hands . Just kidding, looks like you are getting great information here on the conversion. Now just to pay the LP bill! Good luck.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by swoopman View Post
    I don't know what spring you need for this valve but I'll make a general statement - I've found that the smaller hardware stores, like Ace, have a much better selection of springs than the big-box stores.
    Actually you need a spring for a gas valve. If you look up your valve part number, you should find a LP version of the spring. If someone doesn't feel comfortable replacing the spring, then you could go the more expensive route and replace the entire valve.
    Paul