Brand New SWC Infinity Pool - new pool ow er

Sharkygirl

Gold Supporter
Oct 26, 2014
Sarasota, FL
I am looking at hiring a pool company and I want to know what is "overkill" for what actually needs to be done. I have been learning a lot on this forum, but I am still brand new! I have never owned a pool. Eventually I will be able to take on the maintenance myself, at this time it is not possible for me to do that. So specifically I am wondering how often should a DE filter be taken apart and cleaned in a pool that is not being swum in. Also, how often should it be back washed at a minimum. How often should the pumps be run? Do they run 24/7?

NEW Pool 30x15 SWCG, INFINITY EDGE, DE FILTER

I back wash my D.E filters at least 2 times a month & break them down hose off grids and add fresh D.E every 3-4 months i have been doing it this way for years and i haven't had any algae or flow problems on any of my pools now for the pump down here in California on average most of my clients run their pumps 7-8 hours per day in summer and 5-6 hours a day in the winter time i have seen people do a lot less it really depends on the use of your pool and weather conditions. if you have any more questions feel free to ask id love to give you advice on your new pool.

All of those things vary quite dramatically depending on the specifics of your pool. Someone with a large filter and a small pool could go a year without doing anything. Someone with a small filter and a large pool might need to do significant filter cleaning weekly. The way you figure out what is good for your pool is watching the filter pressure and how it changes over time.

Thank you for the replies. I will check my pool tomorrow and find out the specifics about my set up and then post any further questions. SacPoolPros, do you backwash routinely even if your pressure hasn't increased 10 psi or more? Would back washing have to be done less often if your pool is kept super vacuumed and skimmed? or does it not really matter because the stuff that clogs the filter eventually is microscopic anyway? Also, how often does one check the calcium levels, the total alkalinity and cyan - is it monthly or weekly?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. This is very helpful. Would this be typical whether or not they have swimmers in their pool. What about your second home owners, is it about the same?

As a pool professional we do a full chemical analysis once a month for cya calcium and alk then we log it as far as filters go i have just always back washed my D.E filters on a schedule regardless of pressure but to keep good flow and extend there life. as jason said a lot of this varies on how big your pool is how much debris / dirt get into it ect. maybe upload some pictures of your pool and set up and i can give you a really good idea of what to do

Thank you so much for your reply. I set the pumps to run on high for an hour at 8am and then on low the next 7 hours for both the pool and spa. My Jandy pumps are 2HP for the pool and 1.5 HP for the spa. This was recommended by my pool maintenance person. The pumps were running 24/7 for the first several weeks. Thank goodness we are not doing that anymore, my electricity bill was through the roof!

On your DE Filters, how come you are not adding fresh DE every time you are breaking them down. If your washing it all away, wouldn't you need to add more each time? It does not seem consistent with what I have been reading. I have been reading a breakdown every 2-3 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, never mind I read your post wrong.

Re: Infinity pool pump setup

Moved here from another topic. Please keep everything relating to a single issue/project/question together in one place. JasonLion

JasonLion, I too have a similar question. We have just one pump for the pool and an autofill. I was wondering if it was always necessary to have the pump running in order to swim in the pool. When the pump is turned off, the water will continually fill up the trough - I understand the trough has an overflow feature where it will drain into the ground. This being said, I think autofill is set for just under the coping. So am I better off to let the pool loose whatever water it is going to into the trough and hope I don't overflow the trough by swimming or to leave the pumps running when I am swimming in order to continually circulate the water and not unnecessarily waste the water into the ground. Where should the autofill be placed, is just under the coping correct?

Re: Infinity pool pump setup

JasonLion, I too have a similar question. We have just one pump for the pool and an autofill. I was wondering if it was always necessary to have the pump running in order to swim in the pool. When the pump is turned off, the water will continually fill up the trough - I understand the trough has an overflow feature where it will drain into the ground. This being said, I think autofill is set for just under the coping. So am I better off to let the pool loose whatever water it is going to into the trough and hope I don't overflow the trough by swimming or to leave the pumps running when I am swimming in order to continually circulate the water and not unnecessarily waste the water into the ground. Where should the autofill be placed, is just under the coping correct?

You should be able to shut on off without continuous water loss. Sounds like a check vAlve needs to be installed or repaired.

If you only have a single pump, and the lower trough is not large enough to handle the overflow from people swimming, then you have a poorly designed setup, and yes you will need to keep the pump running while swimming.

However, are you sure you are actually losing water? I would expect the lower trough to be large enough to handle the overflow from swimming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I have a new question now. Correct me if I am wrong for posting to this thread. Regarding my spa, I have an unusual situation. When I heat up the spa (set to 100 degrees), and I have a device runtime set for 3 hours. So the spa is supposed to maintain the temp for 3 hours and shut off. Well I have the opposite problem as most spa owners, my spa will continue to heat even after the heaters have shut off. That's right, the heater shuts off and if the pump keeps running, my temps will get as high as 106 degrees! Another question, after my spa was heated to 86 degrees two days ago, outside air temps have been high 60s, this morning my spa read 81 degrees. My pumps are set to run in the morning for one hour on high and 7 hours on low. The heaters are off! So I am guessing here that when the water is warm and goes through the pumps, the water gets heated from friction. Is this possible? It seems after the spa is heated, I should have to turn off of the pumps or else the hot water going through is the reason for the temps. continuing to rise. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Let me remind the reader, this is a brand new system. New equipment in October 2014 (4 mos. old)

If you only have a single pump, and the lower trough is not large enough to handle the overflow from people swimming, then you have a poorly designed setup, and yes you will need to keep the pump running while swimming.

However, are you sure you are actually losing water? I would expect the lower trough to be large enough to handle the overflow from swimming.
Jason Lion, when my teenage boys were swimming in the pool, they were "ROUGH-HOUSING" in a big way. They were splashing water everywhere. I did at one point see the trough loose water through the overflow tube and onto the ground. If the sensor is just under the coping, what is it sensing? Is it supposed to think the pool needs filling if the trough gets that high? I'm a little confused, shouldn't the sensor be placed lower in the trough? It seems I shouldn't have to ask such a question, but I am not quite understanding the set up because #1 I cannot see the sensor, I am just told that is where it is set for, Under the coping of the trough and #2 With the water overflowing all the time when the pumps are "on" I can see why you would want it a little higher or it would be calling for water all the time. But if it is supposed to be sensing "low water", how does the trough give information as to where the pool level is? I just know I'm going to regret asking these questions because it is probably pretty simple and I am not thinking about it correctly. Can you explain for me anyway?

Last edited:
You will only get heat for a minute or two after the heater turns off as the water draws off any remaining heat in the heat exchanger. While there is some very minimal heat from friction, it would never be enough to be measurable. Based on your description there must be a heater running at some point even though you say there isn't. Without a heater running you couldn't get the results your describe.

Autofill on an infinite edge pool can get a little bit complex, and is handled in different ways by different vendors.

Assuming the overflow pump has been running recently (say in the last day or two), the main pool will always be at the same height, just below the lip of the overflow edge. You can then use the height of the water in the overflow trough (when the edge pump is not running) as an indication of how much water there is in the entire system. The edge pump will disrupt things a certain amount, lowering the water height in the trough due to the water in transit. So you either lock out the autofill while the edge pump is on, or put some extra capacity in the trough to handle a slightly variable fill level.

Fancier systems measure the water height in both the main pool and the trough, as well as keeping track of which pumps are running, resulting in more consistent results and eliminating the need to run the edge pump daily to get the autofill to work correctly.

If rough-housing can result in overflow, you have very little margin in your trough system, and will be prone to minor problems of one kind or another. In such a system, if the autofill does not lock out during edge pump operation, you would almost certainly lose water at regular intervals as you simply don't have the margin needed for the variability in trough water height.

Saying that the sensor is under the coping is kind of vague. There are several kinds of sensors, with varying approaches to measuring water height. The simplest sensors have a small float at the end of a hinged arm, which could easily extend several inches below the coping to measure fill height. One of the fancier kinds of sensor has an electronic strip that measures water height across the entire height of the strip. You can also have simpler electronic sensors the simply have two pins and can sense if the pins are both in the same body of water, or have an air gap between them. The two pins sensor would need to be mounted on the wall a few inches below the coping.

Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate the helpful response. Unfortunately, I have no idea what kind of sensor I have, so I will have to ask the pool guys. They should know. I do know I only have one pump for the pool. There is not a trough pump. When the pump is running for the pool, the trough water is used to continually circulate. So the water flows over the edge from the pool and the trough water gets recirculated back into the pool with the rest of the pool. Of coarse there is the main circulation at the bottom of the pool as well. One 2.5 HP pump does it all. The spa has it's own pump and is separate from the pool. When the pump is running, the water in the trough never changes because it is always circulating. When the pump is not running and there are swimmers, the overflow from the pool goes into the trough and fills it up. I have not filled it up to where it will overflow with just my husband and myself swimming around. But the kids are another story. So when they are in the pool I try to keep the pump running.

So I am still getting the same results in regard to the spa. I set the temp. down to 97. I can see the heater turn off once the heat reaches 97- yet as the pumps run, the temp just keeps climbing. Also, without the heater being on, just my pumps on for circulation- heat went to 106 this morning after pump running for 4 hours. I just don't understand. My iAqualink shows nothing on but the pump! I have a separate system for the pool- thankfully it is working fine. I'm stumped.

I do not have gas heaters. The spa heater is a Jandy Pro-Series Heat Pump. So I have isolated what seems to be heating the spa. On the iAqualink there is a control called Heat Ctrl. It was my understanding it needed to be on in order to read the temperature for the Pool and for the Spa. Remember all my equipment is separate for the pool and spa. They each have their own pumps, heaters, chlorinators, etc. I have a maintain heat setting turned "on" for the pool only. In order for the pool to be able to be on the maintain heat setting, that Heat Ctrl. must be on. But it is driving up the spa temp when the spa pumps are on. So for the time being I set the Heat Ctrl. to be off while the spa pumps are running in the morning, But in the evening, the Heat Ctrl. will be on, but the spa pump will only be on when you want heat to the spa. The down side is this leaves the pool without the heat maintained for 7 hours. I am sure the system isn't supposed to work this way. My pool builder is aware and will have to come straighten it out. If anyone is an "expert" with this type of system, I would very much like to hear your comments.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the temperature readout could just be wrong. Have you double checked against some other thermometer?
The temperature is correct, it matches the thermometer in the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.