Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about taking down intex pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about taking down intex pool

We have an 18' metal frame intex pool.

We have had a great first summer with our pool and thanks to TFP, it was so low maintenance!

We need to drain and take down everything. I have been trying to find an adapter for our garden hose so that we can drain the pool that way. Every single place I found one online so far, they are out of stock.

Does anyone know where I can purchase one or any other suggestions.

Thanks a bunch!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about taking down intex pool

My pool doesn't need an adapter. The garden hose will connect directly to the pool drain. Are you using the right end of the hose?

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about taking down intex pool

Can you post a link to the kind of adapter you think you need (the out-of-stock one you mention)? Like the previous poster, I've only seen drain fittings that are directly compatible with a garden hose.

You don't have to let this issue delay you, however -- you can simply use a siphon to empty the pool (fill hose with water, put one end in pool, put other end somewhere a bit downhill of the pool). If you have a vacuum hose available, that will siphon out the pool a lot faster than a little garden hose. The main trick with starting a siphon is to keep the hose full of water while positioning the downhill end -- you can put your hand flat over the end of the hose as you're walking with it, making sure you have a tight seal. You may have to weigh down the end in the pool, so it doesn't surface and suck air.

Even if you connect a hose to the drain fitting on the pool, that will leave a significant amount of water in the pool, which you will have to remove in some other way (e.g. siphon, bailing out, shop vac, etc.).
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits