Pump buzzes, trips breaker

Does this always mean the motor is fried? Or could be a capacitor?

This is a ~ 12 yr old 2 HP pump I've been looking at replacing for awhile. My inclination right now is to replace it with a 2 speed or superflo VS or similar.

What is the going rate for replacing a capacitor (if that's all it is)? I'm not really comfortable doing this myself so would have a pro do any repairs, installations. My instinct is to bite the bullet and replace the pump entirely instead of throwing good money after bad on a low efficiency pump.

One last question, if I buy a 2 speed and install a 2 speed relay can an old aqualink one touch be programmed to run the two speed x hrs at "filter pump" and the seconds speed for x hours at "aux1"? Is it that simple?

Edit, my electric is .15 per hour and my piping is partially 2 inch and partially 1.5 inch. Does that affect pump choice?

If you posted the numbers off the motor we could try to look up a capacitor. I'm thinking $15-$25 in general.
Have you checked to see if the impeller is free or if maybe something is in there jamming it ??

Sounds like it is more then likely a capacitor issue are you able to spin the impeller freely ? or is it seized up and won't spin @ all this is a good indication if the motor is fried or not, on another note 12 years old... i'd consider replacing it either way i'm not a big fan of two speed pumps for about the same price little bit more you can get a variable speed which is a lot more efficient and worth the money now if your control system is out of date you can set the pump up as a stand alone pump

I see it says you are in Palm Springs. I believe the utilities there heavily subsidize the installation of variable speed pumps. In some areas there the clients were paying out of pocket less than my wholesale on the pump.

To answer the question about the Jandy, Yes, but you will need to purchase a 2 speed relay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.