Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump buzzes, trips breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Palm Springs area, CA

Pump buzzes, trips breaker

Does this always mean the motor is fried? Or could be a capacitor?

This is a ~ 12 yr old 2 HP pump I've been looking at replacing for awhile. My inclination right now is to replace it with a 2 speed or superflo VS or similar.

What is the going rate for replacing a capacitor (if that's all it is)? I'm not really comfortable doing this myself so would have a pro do any repairs, installations. My instinct is to bite the bullet and replace the pump entirely instead of throwing good money after bad on a low efficiency pump.

One last question, if I buy a 2 speed and install a 2 speed relay can an old aqualink one touch be programmed to run the two speed x hrs at "filter pump" and the seconds speed for x hours at "aux1"? Is it that simple?

Edit, my electric is .15 per hour and my piping is partially 2 inch and partially 1.5 inch. Does that affect pump choice?
    11,000 gallon in-ground pool/spa combo, pebble-tec, Sta-rite system 3 cartridge 300 sqft, Pentair Whisperflo WFDS-6 2 speed 1.5 HP full-rated, formerly Starite Max-e-Glas 2 HP up-rated single speed, Sta-Rite Max-E Therm natural gas heater. Jandy Aqualink RS Onetouch. Manual vacuum. Chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Re: Pump buzzes, trips breaker

If you posted the numbers off the motor we could try to look up a capacitor. I'm thinking $15-$25 in general.
    Have you checked to see if the impeller is free or if maybe something is in there jamming it ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Sacramento, CA

Sounds like it is more then likely a capacitor issue are you able to spin the impeller freely ? or is it seized up and won't spin @ all this is a good indication if the motor is fried or not, on another note 12 years old... i'd consider replacing it either way i'm not a big fan of two speed pumps for about the same price little bit more you can get a variable speed which is a lot more efficient and worth the money now if your control system is out of date you can set the pump up as a stand alone pump
    David Randolph
    Warranty Station
    Owner Sac Pool Pros

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I see it says you are in Palm Springs. I believe the utilities there heavily subsidize the installation of variable speed pumps. In some areas there the clients were paying out of pocket less than my wholesale on the pump.

To answer the question about the Jandy, Yes, but you will need to purchase a 2 speed relay.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool