Can I use a 2-speed pump with an older Jandy Aqualink?

My single speed 2 hp pump appears to be dead.

I am curious if it is possible to use a 2 speed pump with the Aqualink Controller. The Aqualink is an older version, probably 10+ yrs old. I looked into this a few years ago and I think someone said I would need to update the "guts" of the Aqualink box to get it to communicate with a 2 speed pump. If that's the case then it makes more sense to just buy a standalone variable speed pump, from my perspective.

My second option would be to install a second standalone timer for a two-speed pump, yes? Then just use the aqualink to control the valves and the lights and the heater?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Automation systems do not really "communicate" with 2-speed pumps. A 2-speed pump runs by supplying power to either the low speed winding or the high speed winding. So many automation systems just need 2 relays one is turned on for high speed and the other is turned on for low speed.

If you do not have a spare relay, you could look at the newer smaller VS pumps, like the Superflo Vs or Max-flo VS or SuperPump VS. These have built in speed controllers but still require an external timer for on/off operation. When they pump is turned on it will run at a higher speed (you set) for an amount of time you set, and then switch to a lower speed (you set) until the timer turns it off. There is a 3rd speed you can select manually, like for vacuuming or the spa.

The "gotchas" with these pumps is that the speed can NOT be controlled by the automation system. So if it was running on low and you turn the spa on, the pump will stay on low and you will have to manually turn up the pump speed. OR if you have solar, it can not automatically increase the pump speed when solar is needed.

Automation systems do not really "communicate" with 2-speed pumps. A 2-speed pump runs by supplying power to either the low speed winding or the high speed winding. So many automation systems just need 2 relays one is turned on for high speed and the other is turned on for low speed.

The way my aqualink is set up i'm not sure how to control the second relay? If I have a relay installed will the controlled automatically detect it as "Pump 2" or something along those lines? Or does the firmware need to be updated?

If you do not have a spare relay, you could look at the newer smaller VS pumps, like the Superflo Vs or Max-flo VS or SuperPump VS. These have built in speed controllers but still require an external timer for on/off operation. When they pump is turned on it will run at a higher speed (you set) for an amount of time you set, and then switch to a lower speed (you set) until the timer turns it off. There is a 3rd speed you can select manually, like for vacuuming or the spa.

Do any of these pumps (including the intelliflo VS) communicate with the Aqualink? So I can still use the Aqualink to set run times and programs?

The "gotchas" with these pumps is that the speed can NOT be controlled by the automation system. So if it was running on low and you turn the spa on, the pump will stay on low and you will have to manually turn up the pump speed. OR if you have solar, it can not automatically increase the pump speed when solar is needed.

That's not really a problem if it's easy to manually change the speed.

Thank you for your help. This is not my area of expertise...

If you plan on hooking up a 2 speed pump to Any controller you will need to add a special 2 speed relay to make it work.

https://www.yourpoolhq.com/jandy-67..._d_30_d_6397&gclid=CPayzfT2yMECFQqCfgodjggAtw

Posted link is for reference only.

The reason you need this relay is that you must only have the high, or low speed terminal energized on the pump. You cannot energize both at the same time. A standard jandy relay will not break the power to the low speed when toggling to high speed and visa-versa.

As far as integrating a VS pump into a Jandy system if you use an intelliflo you can add an intellicom II to the system and have the aux circuits on the jandy run 4 different speeds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.