urethane paint or stonescape mini pebble fo my new pool

Oct 25, 2014
yuma, az
After doing a lot of research, I am debating weather to put a coating of sand, cement and fiberglass additive to my gunite shell and then paint the surface
With a urethane paint. It has a 12 year warranty and I can do the work myself.

The other option is having stonescapes mini pebble installed. I am concerned about price and the length of time I would need for the cement and paint to cure, and
Also how ruff the texture of the Stonescapes will be. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20141023_101259.jpg
    20141023_101259.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 258
After reading this forum for the last two years and then building my pool with Stonescapes mini pebble, I have learned a few things. 1.) Nobody puts in a epoxy / urethane paint type coating by choice. Painting a pool finish is usually only motivated by cost or the hardcore need to do things DIY. Although I've seen it done on this site, putting in plaster is best left to the pro's. Also, when they say 12 years, that means 12 years if your pool was built and maintained in a vacuum. 2.) I love the feel of our Stonescapes mini pebble. It isn't too rough and I've haven't had a single person complain about it. Most are just amazed at how it looks. I've also been in some smooth plaster pools that left my feet raw after a few hours of swimming.

From the pictures, your pool looks like no expense was spared, so don't short change yourself by not going all the way with a nice pebble or quartz type finish. Get some samples and see what your really like or have your PB take you to a few houses where they have applied the pebble type finishes.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I agree with the above. don't get cheap now and paint it. You will regret it in a few years when it starts fading / chaulking / flaking.

If you are concerned about texture, then just go with a plaster finish instead of a pebble finish. It would be cheaper and if installed and maintained properly could last nearly as long as the pebble.

Stonescapes has more texture, but properly applied isn't really rough.

Painting initially costs less but even under the bets of coditions does not last long. Twelve year warranty sounds great but a reasonably maintained plaster will last 20.

I would expect your painted surface to need somework after 2.

You can DIY pool plaster -- extremely difficult but there are threads on here from people who have done it.

Maybe I need to change my question, after a lot or research we found a product: LG 760 Supreme Urethane that sound like an awesome product.

"Supreme Urethane is a super-duty commercial quality two-component acrylic polyurethane pool paint that out performs the competition. Long-term performance and durability are exceptional. Offers unequalled performance in a wide variety of categories including adhesion, hardness, chemical resistance, resistance to high heat (500F), color and gloss retention UV stability and long term submersion. It should be your first choice for commercial applications. Will not pick up to hot tires when applied to pool decks. Covers up to 300 square feet per gallon. Available in 100 colors. Two coats are recommended. 12 year guaranty."

Has anyone ever used this or a similar product? It is for commercial applications so I don't think it is an inferior product as long as it is applied correctly. I just haven't had any experience and wanted some feedback from an unbiased person. Thanks

I am unbiased as I have no inground pool. However, doing some research on painting pools and seeing your pool in the pictures as well as reading some of the horror stories on here, I would not paint for any reason. It's kinda like using Krylon on a Ferrari, don't you think? Everyone here is telling you nobody paints because it doesn't last, regardless of what it says on the label. 1 maybe 2 seasons and it's chalking up. Pool chemicals are corrosive. My trucks battery is guaranteed for 5 years and it died 6 months later. You have a great looking pool, don't skimp on the home stretch. And definitely don't ask for opinions here if you only want to hear one side. These good folks are very knowledgeable and are not required to help in any way shape or form. I would take their advice and really think about it because it sounds like they have more experience than you.

I don't mean to be abrasive but sometimes, that is what it takes to get some people to realize they aren't looking for advice, they are looking for reassurance on something they themselve already doubt. I know this because I do the same thing.

But, just incase you are still entertaining this as an option. I can find no bad reviews online. I also cannot find any good reviews. The Better Business Bureau has no listing for them in New Brunswick, NJ (Where they are located) or in Yuma. And no major pool supply sites carry their products. This means they are a small operation. Where do you think they will be if you have issues? Hard to find or get a resolution would be my bet. Then you get stuck removing the stuff and getting it repaired at your own expense.

To add to what Glock said, I know SGM offer a 10 year warranty on their diamond brite product when installed by a qualified installer. As do most major plaster manufacturers. There is a reason you will not find a single person who chose to simply paint their new pool. At this point, do it right now, so you don't have to fix it next year as an unexpected expense.

I guess we are kind of piling on here .

I'm with Glock. I looked. Not sold anywhere except the manufacturer. No distributors at all.

Almost no reviews. The only reviews I can find are at "******consumer.com"

Contractors generally don't buy products with secret ingredients. They say it meets government specs. But what govt spec? They don't say. They say you have a ten year warranty. I'm not sure they have been around ten years.

You need to understand this is a two part product. You have to mix each gallon individually. If you have ever applied epoxy sealer it is not fun. You need to be extremely careful you do not get it on your pool deck. It is slow and tedious work.

Keep in mind, your interior of the pool goes thru a vast amount of wear from constant exposure to chemicals, wear from use, sun, heat, etc...
The point we are all trying to make and I hope you are in the position to "Do it right" is you are also protecting the shell (in addition to your wallet) from long term wear/exposure.

We used Pebble Sheen and it's pretty smooth overall, certainly smoother than older or "regular" Pebbletech product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Decided to go with Pebble Sheen (mini pebble from pebble tech) with the Luminous glass beads in Aqua Blue. I love how it turned out and am glad we went with this choice. Appreciate all the feedback :D

Attachments

• 10679547_761890767209578_895812291361935625_o.jpg
    10679547_761890767209578_895812291361935625_o.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 114
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.