Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green pool and water level below intake

1. Back To Top    #1

Green pool and water level below intake

So, we are going to work at closing up the pool this weekend. Currently it is green. I haven't run any tests on it yet.

The problem is that the water level is already below the intake so we can not run the filter and pump. Is there any way to clean up the pool without having the filter and pump hooked up? We don't want to bring up the level of the water just to have to drain it back down. We are in the country and are on a well and we really don't want to drain our well down going in to winter as it is a real pain to haul water in the winter when it is freezing outside.

I may have a little tiny pump from an older Intex pool that we could possibly rig up some way. I doubt it would be big enough to be very effective, but it may just move the water around. It is just a little cartridge one.

What options, if any, do we have?

THANKS!!!
    2014 Used 33'x54" Wilbar Morada,deep end approx 28,800 gal.
    Hayward S180T1580S pump/filter combo,
    Pentair Aqualuminator light/return, Aquabot S2-50
    TF-100 kit, Initial fill with pond water
    South Central Iowa

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Green pool and water level below intake

You can rig up your vacuum hose to your skimmer, keep end of hose always submerged.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Do you have a bottom drain ?? Close off the skimmers and just use the bottom to circulate some bleach and filter ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

If you used a threaded male adapter and some piping, you could run your regular pump as if everything is normal. The piping would act like your skimmer.

Baring refill, you could pour liquid chlorine around the perimeter and let your intex circulate it, or just use your leaf net and row, row, row your boat.

If its really green, I doubt that you will get enough circulation without getting your regular pump and filter going.