Need help on TImer selection

mgj167

Oct 24, 2014
Leesville, SC
I have an inground pool with vinyl liner at the house I recently bought. It has a Polaris Sport 380 and a new Polaris PB4-60 motor on the Polaris pressure clear. Both motors are wired for 240V. I noticed that both the main pump and the pressure cleaner pump are wired onto a single Intermatic T104 timer. So both come on and go off at the same time.

I would like to have separate timer control on the two of them. I'm looking at the Intermatic P1353ME and the P1403ME. And I would like the pressure cleaner motor to come on AFTER the main motor has started.

I like the the fact the P1403ME has a super cap to backup the programming (and I assume time) and seasonal adjust. However the P1403ME is a noticeably cheaper (~$40-$50 cheaper) than the P1353ME. So it makes me wonder if there is something better for this application such that I should use the P1353ME instead.

Any advise/experience with either would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I have to ask, why do you want to run the main pump without the cleaner? There is not likely any reason to run the pump more than is required for the cleaner. Unless you just want to be able to turn the booster pump off if you do not have the cleaner in the pool.

Take a look at this as it may refute some of your thoughts: Determine Pump Run Time

Also, Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thanks Jason. I have updated my signature line with the details as requested. Hope this helps a bit.

I'm a new pool owner (in a house I just bought) and trying to address a few things. Previous owners told me they did not close the pool in the winter, just continue to run the filter and cleaner. We do get a fair number of leaves in the pool from nearby oaks and wind. Right now the pump & cleaner run about 5 hours per day. That does seem to keep the pool clean, although we usually need to clean the skimmer basket 2-3 times per day. No issue with algae in the pool. I was told to keep the salinity between 3 and 3.5%.

The previous owners had both pump motors sent out for rebuild just prior to closing because both had quit. And the booster pump just quit again. So given the age and cost options I just bought a new PB4-60 to install in its place. As I was reading some the various forums some seemed to make a big deal about ensuring the pressure cleaner pump only ran when the main pump is running (current timer does that) and some made a big point of ensure the booster pump did not come on until AFTER the main pump was running. And many talked about two timers -- one for each pump, where the booster pump time ON was inside (at both ends) the main pump ON time. Hence the question.

Also because this is an all electric house, with a noticeable electric bill, I'm interested in seeing if I can improve the efficiency of the pool operation. For example perhaps I might be able to run the pressure cleaner less then the filter pump, but not sure. But two timers would allow that. Also wondering if it makes sense to replace the filter pump motor with one that is more efficient and if so which ones should I look at?

I am also looking into some sort of mesh cover especially for the fall/winter to better manage the leaf situation -- any recommendations/suggestions/considerations would appreciated...

Thanks in advance as my lack of pool knowledge would fill volumes -- but trying to learn...

Michael

See responses below in red

Thanks Jason. I have updated my signature line with the details as requested. Hope this helps a bit.

I'm a new pool owner (in a house I just bought) and trying to address a few things. Previous owners told me they did not close the pool in the winter, just continue to run the filter and cleaner. We do get a fair number of leaves in the pool from nearby oaks and wind. Right now the pump & cleaner run about 5 hours per day. That does seem to keep the pool clean, although we usually need to clean the skimmer basket 2-3 times per day. No issue with algae in the pool. I was told to keep the salinity between 3 and 3.5%.
I have no idea what you mean by salinity at 3-3.5% ... salt has nothing to do with preventing algae. Adequate chlorine is waht prevents algae, and the required amount is a function of your CYA levels. See the FC/CYA Chart.

The previous owners had both pump motors sent out for rebuild just prior to closing because both had quit. And the booster pump just quit again. So given the age and cost options I just bought a new PB4-60 to install in its place. As I was reading some the various forums some seemed to make a big deal about ensuring the pressure cleaner pump only ran when the main pump is running (current timer does that) and some made a big point of ensure the booster pump did not come on until AFTER the main pump was running. And many talked about two timers -- one for each pump, where the booster pump time ON was inside (at both ends) the main pump ON time. Hence the question.
Should be fine to come on at the same time.

Also because this is an all electric house, with a noticeable electric bill, I'm interested in seeing if I can improve the efficiency of the pool operation. For example perhaps I might be able to run the pressure cleaner less then the filter pump, but not sure. But two timers would allow that.
It could help some.

Also wondering if it makes sense to replace the filter pump motor with one that is more efficient and if so which ones should I look at?
This will save you a lot more then shorting the booster pump run time some. You can look into a 2-speed motor to put on your existing pump and then always run on low speed except for backwashing or vacuuming.

I am also looking into some sort of mesh cover especially for the fall/winter to better manage the leaf situation -- any recommendations/suggestions/considerations would appreciated...
I don't know anything about covers, sorry.

Thanks in advance as my lack of pool knowledge would fill volumes -- but trying to learn...

Michael

I would say separate the two pumps. Run the main enough with the timer to keep the water clear. Go out and run the cleaner for a couple hours here and there to get the leaves off the bottom. No reason to have a cleaner running 5 hrs a day unless you have a ton of leaves dropping every day.

I love my 1353. ran two 104s prior to getting the 1353.Run my Polaris 3 hrs/day and my vs pump 4-12 hrs/day depending on the season. Got the freeze sensor to keep water flowing when the temp gets 32° or lower. Getting ready to set the pump for freezing weather soon. Swg will stop generating in a couple weeks --water temp is 64 now and cold nights(30s) forecast this weekend. Will still run the pump for the cleaner thru the winter as well as water circulation. It's supposed to be colder this winter than it was last year. That freeze sensor did it's job often.

Thanks for all the input -- In my follow-up note, I should have noted the Salinity measure of 3.0-3.5 GPL instead of %. The previous owners' told me to keep the salinity, as reported on the Chloromatic III, in this range to ensure there was sufficient for the SWG and when it falls below 3.0 GPL to add pool salt to bring it back in range.

Also appreciate the input on timer and on the pump. I definitely believe I need to upgrade the pump...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.