Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool/Spa in Iowa

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool/Spa in Iowa

Just moved into my house sadly it's late enough in the season I will be closing it soon. Ive been reading for months before I even got the pool on TFPC, already have the k-2006 kit and I have everything in order except for the cya. It was full of broke down leaves and no chlorine when I moved in so there is some staining but I raised it to shock level for the few weeks till I close it.. It needs drained and a new liner soon so I'll just get it done in the spring but the spa has been fun so far! After scrubbing the stains out of it will a magic eraser that is.. I don't have an updated clean pictures

Ph 7.28
    Tc- 40
    Cya-400
    Ta-80
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25,000 gal Vinyl inground and Spa, S8S70 Sta-Rite, 250 Master Temp, 1.5hp Hayward VS Superpump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool/Spa in Iowa

Welcome to the forum

You can always post the "before" pictures. Part of the fun is seeing someones progress.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Your test results are dubious.

K-2006 cannot measure 7.28pH or a CYA of 400

If your CYA is really that high, the pool is virtually unmanageable and you should consider some partial drain/refills.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If you have any photos please feel free to post along with any questions. Happy to help you get control of the CYA now or in spring if you're doing a liner
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

To second and third, you must drain and refill if you are truly at 400 Cya. No getting around that one. Let us know how we can help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

I posted some pictures! I just saw the responses. I actually used a pH probe from my works lab to get my pH! I had to dilute it a lot to check CYA, so I bought some stripes to double check and its color wasn't even on the scale! I know they just used powder pH up and down, chlorine packets, and the non-poly algecide! I started getting the chemicals lined out and when the pool company blew out the lines they dumped more chlorine bags in it so.. That's 4 bags of chlorine and 16 bottles of bleach! Hope there is a liner this March.

I was curious about next winter since its already closed this year.. since the system can be split between pool and spa, would it be possible to have the pump run 24/7, a insulated cover, and the heater >70 degrees and prevent freezing since the pipes go under the ground? I have a whole home generator in the possibility of power outage and my heater is natural gas..?