Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Grill Island (thanx TFP forum for links/ideas etc.)

1. Back To Top    #1

Grill Island (thanx TFP forum for links/ideas etc.)

Prolly spent two weeks of spare time on the project. *Purchased this online tutorial (the ten bucks saved me a lot of trial and error) *http://www.symphonybbq.com/media/Sample.pdf (thanx to whomever recommended it)

Then got to framing. (thanks for the shadowbox idea, can't recall who did it previously) *I'm completely unfamiliar with steel drywall studs. *Really easy to use though:

Screwed some hardi-backer to it and hit it with a scratch coat of stucco. *Electric is wired up within. *I put the grill and door in to mock it up and make some ribs.

Tiled and grouted with some Saltillo tile.

Archway is to store some firewood for a fire pit. *Finish coat of stucco is on and it's painted. *Lights and electric aren't finished, but fridge is in place. *Went with an old school broilmaster grill. *I liked the warranty and wanted to try the 1/2 infrared grill part too.

15K gallon inground pool. Krystalkrete finish, 1.5hp Hayward pump, 120 gpm cartridge filter, Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Grill Island (thanx TFP forum for links/ideas etc.)

Looks great!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Really does look good. That keystone tile in the arch is a great touch.

As a DIY'er, how tough would you say this project was?
    John
    IG freeform vinyl, 18k, Hayward T-15 swg cell, Pentair 3/4 HP Whisperflo pump, Pentair cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by thedrew8 View Post

As a DIY'er, how tough would you say this project was?
    It really wasn't that hard. The link to the guide I posted was really helpful. Building with steel drywall studs was easier than with wood. Stucco was the most challenging part. (I really don't like doing stucco!!)
    15K gallon inground pool. Krystalkrete finish, 1.5hp Hayward pump, 120 gpm cartridge filter, Polaris 360 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Very nice, I considered steel studs but went with BBQ Coach. I think the Saltillo looks very nice!
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

6. Back To Top    #6

Once I get my pool right I am planning on building something like this. Stucco was a great idea, I was stuck on brick or block. That would be easier
    20,000 gallon concrete roman style Inground pool (build date 8/13)
    Pent air FNS60 DE filter (using Jacks filter fiber stuff)
    Raised Spa/Hot tub and Polaris 360 cleaner (named Vincent ;-))
    RayPak pool heater 406a
    TF100 test kit