Drained Too Much Water for Winter in Error

Apr 14, 2013
Ohio
I am a little late getting our 30' above ground closed up for the winter. This is only our second year doing it. I started draining the water level down with a small pump I used last year. Last night I unplugged the pump as we were getting close to the bottom of the return, with the intent on finishing up today. I left the pump and hose in however, and here the night and day the water siphoned down substantially (should have pulled the pump out). I am now left with about 12-18 inches of water in the pool.

The question is, do I need to fill the pull up to below the return for winter, or is it ok to just hold out and wait until spring? I don't want to do more damage, and obviously the air pillows are not going to do any good at this point. Thanks for the help.

You are not alone! We had the exact same thing happen to us, except we caught it when the pool was still about half full. We did add water back to the pool to get it to the recommended level before closing. Also, don't forget to check your chemical levels before you put on the cover. We had to add more chemicals to get everything balanced again, thus delaying our closing by a couple of days. Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.