Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sealing around back of fountain

1. Back To Top    #1

Sealing around back of fountain

Hi Guys,

We have a small rock waterfall beside our concrete pool. The waterfall works great, but I notice a bit of water dribbling back behind the waterfall and into the garden. This is coming from where the PVC pipe feeds into the rock.

Is there something I can trowel/pump around where the pipe feeds in to seal this up?

Could I just use some regular mortar here? Just pack it in around the pipe and it will do the trick when it dries out? Or could it crack the pipe as it cures (I'm not sure whether mortar expands/shrinks as it cures etc)?

Cheers!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sealing around back of fountain

Mine leaks horrendously as well as the grout always separates from the rocks. Hydraulic cement might work or maybe some type of caulking (if you can not see it).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If anything mortar will shrink slightly but not much.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Mine leaks horrendously as well as the grout always separates from the rocks. Hydraulic cement might work or maybe some type of caulking (if you can not see it).
    Hydraulic cement - I've heard of it - I'll look into it.

Cheers.

5. Back To Top    #5

Most if not all mortar shrinks and pulls away from the rock or pipe. As a result many fountains and waterfalls leak.

Try to do the work on cool days with plenty of humidity and let the mortar stay damp for a couple days by keeping wet towels over it. It may work.

You could also try a caulk. Or a pond sealant.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks gwegan. I'm thinking maybe caulking in some grey coloured silicone sealant may do the trick.