Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Epson Salts in a Spa..?

1. Back To Top    #1

Epson Salts in a Spa..?

Hi there,

I checked the old thread about this and it doesn't seem to answer the question:
    Is it a good idea to add Epson Salt (magnesium sulphate) to a Spa?

I already have 2000 ppm Pool Salt in there for the SWG.

Maybe this will give enough of the muscle relaxing sensation on its own without the need for Epson Salts.

If I added Epson Salts, would it alter my Salt levels or other water balance, asides TDS..?

I suspect this added complexity isn't required in my situation, but it's something I've wondered about for a while now.
    Especially as the Epson Salt package states it is for use in "Bath, Whirlpool and Spa".

I assume that, once added, the Epson Salts stay until the next water change. For better and worse..!

Regards - D
    Jacuzzi J480 (2008) 1700 litres, Balboa ozonator, Delta EZ-18-120 UV lamp via custom 6-way 2-tier timer solenoid array, 2 x Waterway 4HP main pumps,
    1 x Aqua-Flow 1/15 HP circ pump, ChlorMaker IL SWG, SmartSeal + Roxul skirting insulation, 8' x 8' ThermoFloat Spa blanket, 100" x 100" Gator coverall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Epson Salts in a Spa..?

Epson Salt is not salt from the point of view of the SWG. If you add Epson Salt, you can't reduce the amount of regular salt you are using. Epson Salt also adds sulfates, which can shorten the lifetime of the SWG cell plates significantly. Epson Salt does provide an interesting experience for the bather, but isn't recommended in combination with a SWG.

Ignore TDS. There is no point in even measuring/mentioning it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Epson Salts in a Spa..?

Hi Jason Lion,

Thanks for the heads-up.
    The last thing I want to do is wreck the SWG!

I shall leave it firmly in the bathroom for the lady's indulgent soaks therein!

- D
    Jacuzzi J480 (2008) 1700 litres, Balboa ozonator, Delta EZ-18-120 UV lamp via custom 6-way 2-tier timer solenoid array, 2 x Waterway 4HP main pumps,
    1 x Aqua-Flow 1/15 HP circ pump, ChlorMaker IL SWG, SmartSeal + Roxul skirting insulation, 8' x 8' ThermoFloat Spa blanket, 100" x 100" Gator coverall