Pool Covers: 95%, 99%, 100% Shade - Any Real Difference? (+$600 worth it?)

Oct 22, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Hey Guys,

I'm new here and to maintaining a pool in general. I just bought a house with a pool and had a quick question. I've been getting multiple quotes for Merlin, Meyco, and Loop Loc Pool Covers and was able to find someone that was able to offer me a Merlin Dura-Mesh (95% shade) cover for $3,100 and the Merlin Smart-Mesh (100% shade) for $3,700. Overall, these seem to be the best price I can get for a top-tier pool cover.

I was wonder if the $600 is worth the extra 5% shade coverage? Thoughts?

I know that the more shade cover you have..the less chance of algae green pool at opening...but can 5% really make that much of a difference? Is there any other reason to pay the extra $600?

FYI - I can also probably get a Mesh Loop-Loc (?%) for $3,700-$3,800 or a MeycoLite (95% shade) for about $3,400.

Note: My pool is about 55' x 22' ..abstract shape..probably around 40,000 gallons.

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Actually, if you maintain adequate FC levels (as a function of your CYA, see the FC/CYA Chart), then it does not matter if you have 0% shade as algae can not grow.

I would not think that 5% would make much difference, but I have no experience with pool covers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.