Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Los Angeles County Pool Fence Requirements?

1. Back To Top    #1

Los Angeles County Pool Fence Requirements?

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for awhile, finally decided to register! I'm having a pool built in my backyard in Los Angeles County. I just want to be 100% sure on the fence requirements. I am having 6 foot high chain link installed around the property. I know the requirement is 5 foot, but I'm going 6. The confusion I have is on the chain link fence. According to http://ladbs.org/LADBSWeb/LADBS_Form...PoolDesign.pdf the chain link can be up to 1 3/4 link openings. Is this correct? If I have a 6 foot high chain link fence with 1 3/4 link openings I will be good to go?

Thank You,
    Emil

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Los Angeles County Pool Fence Requirements?

Welcome to TFP!!!

I think the best way to be sure is to contact your inspectors and ask.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I built my pool last year in Los Angeles County. At least in my case, any type of chain link was a no go. The only way chain link would be acceptable was to have privacy type strips or weaving material laced into the fence. That way a child could not use the chain link openings as a foothold to get over the fence. I had solid wood fencing all around the backyard, but not on the side of the house. I had to change out that section of fence before he would sign off on the project.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang View Post
    I built my pool last year in Los Angeles County. At least in my case, any type of chain link was a no go. The only way chain link would be acceptable was to have privacy type strips or weaving material laced into the fence. That way a child could not use the chain link openings as a foothold to get over the fence. I had solid wood fencing all around the backyard, but not on the side of the house. I had to change out that section of fence before he would sign off on the project.
    Wow, that would be awful if it's true for me. I have alot of property to enclose and the cost would double. I wonder why they wouldn't let you do chain link?

5. Back To Top    #5

Your link was for the city of Los Angeles, not LA county. The next time you see your inspector ask him what the fence codes are for your yard as each city has their requirements.

If they ban chain link fences it would be because the fence can be easily climbed over.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Your link was for the city of Los Angeles, not LA county. The next time you see your inspector ask him what the fence codes are for your yard as each city has their requirements.

If they ban chain link fences it would be because the fence can be easily climbed over.
    Thanks, I'll do that.