Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine above 100 ppm

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine above 100 ppm

I have created quite a mess with my 225 gallon hot tub .

The SWG stopped working, so I inserted an old SWG from my above ground pool. After a few days I tested the water using the Taylor K-1000 test kit. The TC turned orange, with suspended "clots" and the pH turned bright purple. I reduced the SWG run time from 12 hours a day to 6 hours a day. I added 2 tablespoons of ph minus, but the pH test remained bright purple. I had to travel for a week and when I returned there was rust forming on the nozzles. I performed a Chlorine Drop Test and Total Alkalinity test using the TF-100 kit.

TC > 100 ppm
    TA 0 ppm

Please help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine above 100 ppm

I would recommend a drain and refill. Also, a pool swg is too big for a hot tub. I would recommend that it not be used.

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Also, if you do use an SWG (a properly sized one for your spa) you need to add CYA in the water, otherwise the active chlorine level will be too strong. In any event with your very high FC level the chlorine was corrosive to the metal in your spa. I'm not sure how the TA got to 0, however, and that also implies the pH get to 4.5 or below.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm guessing that the TA is probably not a good reading due to the high fc. Since it's such a small volume, the easiest way to recover is probably starting over with fresh water.