Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maintaining bubble covered inground-Pittsburg, CA

1. Back To Top    #1
    Pittsburg, CA

Talking Maintaining bubble covered inground-Pittsburg, CA

WE enjoyed the pool until a week ago but now the temperature is down to 72*, close to our daily outside temp. {Yes, I know. All of you in cold, rainy and already freezing areas are jealous.} Covered with a floated bubble wrap, it is still losing water and Cl slowly and gaining wind blown debris.
    Since the weather here may eventually get down to mid 30s, really no concern about freezing.
    Still running pump via skimmer nightly at low speed and checking chlorine and pH with TF-100

What maintenance should I do at least weekly as long as we are not actually swimming?
    Today's readings are:
    FC 2.5 CC 0 TC 2.5
    Ca hardness 200 (painted over fiberglass)
    TA 60
    CYA 50-60

There leaves and splotches of the yellow algae I have been brushing off the walls and floor.

Thank you for your advice.
    semi rectangular ~ 12,000 gal pool, fiberglass built in 1983, painted 2014.
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS6 1.5 HP, Crystal Water cartridge filter, using TF-100 test kit, bleach per TFP

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Maintaining bubble covered inground-Pittsburg, CA

You should maintain the chemistry as normal. The FC and pH should certainly be checked at least weekly and likely more often. The rest should not really change much.

As of now, your FC is not high enough according to the FC/CYA Chart and that is why you are now seeing algae. So, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to eradicate the algae before you go back to normal maintenance.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!