Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool came with the house

1. Back To Top    #1

Mandeville / LA

Pool came with the house

I wanted to thank everyone who contributes to this forum for the outstanding information. I followed a number of threads including one person's journey to get their CYA from off-scale to 50PPM. Just following the thread was highly educational. Knowing what to focus on first and what to worry about once the CYA and FC were under control. After about 2 - 3 hours of forum research I purchased the Taylor K-2006 test kit. The local stores don't have a FAS kit and they don't stock the reagent (R-00013) required to test for CYA. But they all stock the Nature 2 Fusion system and enough of the duo clear cartridges to supply the entire state of Louisiana.

The woman I purchase the house from said that her pool installer tried to talk her out of the fusion system but the local pool supply store insisted she had to have it. Go figure.

While waiting on my test kit I stopped the trichlor tabs and removed the "mineral" pouch from the fusion tank (per instructions on a thread on this site). When I finally received my test kit my CYA was well above the 100 PPM but since it was off scale I didn't know just how high. I immediately raised my FC in accordance with the CYA / FC chart and maintained it at proper levels throughout the replenishing process. I drained and refilled 18" per day for 3 days straight and the CYA is now at 65. SI is 0, PH is easy to maintain with muriatic acid and as expected, tends to climb slowly over time. I have house hold bleach, muriatic acid and calcium chloride on hand and everything is well within the parameters recommended on this site.

The water is crystal clear, absolutely no chlorine smell and no burning eyes. I test FC everyday and PH prior to entering the pool or every 3 days if not planning to swim. I'm getting a feel for the amount of chlorine I need daily but know that it will change base on dropping temps and change in usage.

I don't know if I've got everything right and will probably make a few mistakes but without this site I'd be lost.

2012, 13K gal., IG, Plaster, Cartridge, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pool came with the house

Welcome to TFP!!!

Wow, sounds like you are off to a great start ... well ahead of many of the first time posters

You know where to find us if questions arise
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

Welcome to TFP !😎
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Peoria, IL

Welcome. But that is not a traditional first post.

It is usually "My pool is green and I keep adding tabs but my strips say I have no chlorine".

I did exactly like most probably did. Had an issue with cloudiness, found the forum, quit buying phosphate remover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5
    South Carolina

Welcome to the forum

You are off to a very nice start
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Mandeville, Louisiana

Welcome to the forum blandry. I also live in Mandeville! I found this forum two years ago when I built my pool. You are off to a good start. Follow this forum as I have and your life will be a lot easier as a pool owner. Good luck!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!