Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing FC Level - Shock or 50% Shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing FC Level - Shock or 50% Shock?

Closing the pool this coming weekend and currently have the FC at shock level. The pool school in-ground closing instructions say to let the FC fall back down to about 50% shock level before closing. Why wait for it to drop? Seems like a higher FC level would be a good thing to help the chlorine last through the winter. What do others do?
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing FC Level - Shock or 50% Shock?

Doesn't it say to let it drop before adding poly 60? If you are not adding the poly, then you should be fine to close I think.

.... maybe I should go read the articles again since I never experience this so called closing
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't understand the purpose of letting the FC drop to 50% prior to adding Poly60. I know that Poly60 has a chlorine demand but can't understand why we should let the FC drop prior to adding Poly60 and then have to add more bleach to bring the FC back up again.

I don't plan on using Poly60 this year but want to understand what the reasoning is behind the instructions. Also, is there any reason that I shouldn't close the pool at shock level?
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think it has something to do with the demand o the chlorine by the polyquat. If the FC is higher and you add the poly, the poly gets oxidized much more quickly.

That's a best guess from what I remember reading. I could also be completely off base.

I bring my pool up to shock level (or slightly above), no algaecide, and cover it up.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. That's what I plan on doing. I just like to know that I will not damage the liner or my Looploc mesh cover with the FC at shock level.

6. Back To Top    #6

I had to artificially increase my FC with bleach to shock levels to close because my SWG quit working due to low temp. But I got up to shock levels. Added my algaecide and closed the autocover.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois