Okay to move?

Jun 14, 2012
Blaine, MN
We would like to move the pump and filter from here:

To the side of the steps where no crawling would be required.

We are planning on replacing the flexible hose with pvc. It's about 10 feet further and slightly downhill (maybe 4-5" elevation). Do you foresee any problems with our idea? We would be doing this next spring.

As said above, no issues. But, I would go one step further and suggest upgrading the plumbing to hard PVC if you can. Or at least use flexible PVC and not any cheap corrugated hoses.

Also, please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

What's the major difference between spa flex and hard piping?
I think it might be our understanding of what "spa flex" is ;)
If it is actually the flexible schedule 40 PVC, then the performance would be very similar to hard plumbing. Although in this case, if it is going to be sitting on the ground, I might want to use hard pipe just for durability. You could still use the flex PVC for the riser to the pool and filter and just use hard for the horizontal runs.

The cheap corrugated hoses (like used for pool cleaners and come with many of the AG pools) add a LOT of head loss and lower the flow rate. These are what we were not recommending to use.

EDIT: I think there is also some concern with ants eating into the flexible PVC also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use a shop vac, once full, dump it onto a tarp. Move the filter, then begin refilling. I prefer to put pea gravel in until I am even with the laterals, then I add the sand til I get to the shoulder of the filter. This gives you the largest surface area for the water to be forced down into the sand.

When you look at the top picture,the black part (spider port?) needs to come off to access the interior of the filter. Do I remove it where there appears to be a "collar" just above the gray part to access the interior? Is there a step-by-step process outlined somewhere on this forum?

Rigid PVC is MUCH less expensive than flexible PVC. You will have more labor and "expertise" required to install it. It is also much more durable long term. The long run along the ground I would do rigid PVC for sure, perhaps even support the pipe off the ground with small pressure treated wooden blocks and metal straps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.