Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Okay to move?

1. Back To Top    #1

Okay to move?

We would like to move the pump and filter from here:

To the side of the steps where no crawling would be required.

We are planning on replacing the flexible hose with pvc. It's about 10 feet further and slightly downhill (maybe 4-5" elevation). Do you foresee any problems with our idea? We would be doing this next spring.
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Sand, TFP Test, Gas heater
    Minnesota

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Okay to move?

No issues at all. Above grounds traditionally have over sized pumps so the extra head will not be a concern. I suggest using the same connections that are already on pump and filter and just splice in your new spa flex with some unions.

3. Back To Top    #3

As said above, no issues. But, I would go one step further and suggest upgrading the plumbing to hard PVC if you can. Or at least use flexible PVC and not any cheap corrugated hoses.

Also, please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay to move?

+ 1 to the hard pipe. You'll see a big difference in flow as compared to the corrugated flex hose. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

What's the major difference between spa flex and hard piping?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooladdict View Post
    What's the major difference between spa flex and hard piping?
    I think it might be our understanding of what "spa flex" is
    If it is actually the flexible schedule 40 PVC, then the performance would be very similar to hard plumbing. Although in this case, if it is going to be sitting on the ground, I might want to use hard pipe just for durability. You could still use the flex PVC for the riser to the pool and filter and just use hard for the horizontal runs.

The cheap corrugated hoses (like used for pool cleaners and come with many of the AG pools) add a LOT of head loss and lower the flow rate. These are what we were not recommending to use.

EDIT: I think there is also some concern with ants eating into the flexible PVC also.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay to move?

The flex PVC is also pricey as compared to regular PVC IMO. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Is the performance difference in the pipe types because of the ridged surface of the corrugated pipes? Eddy currents causing a restriction of flow?
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    Is the performance difference in the pipe types because of the ridged surface of the corrugated pipes? Eddy currents causing a restriction of flow?
    Yes the flow is much more turbulent, and they may have a smaller ID as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay to move?

The inside dia of the fitting for the hose is 1 inch where the hose gets attached and then tapers up to 1.5 inches. That will restrict flow there also. 😎
    Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Sorry, I use sched40 spa flex. Up north we have no issues with termites, but I attended a conference where the moderator had a piece of sched 40 spa flex that had more holes then pipe lol. Definitely do not use the vacuum type of hosing.

12. Back To Top    #12

Any suggestions on how to move the filter? I think it's 250# of sand.
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Minnesota

13. Back To Top    #13

Use a shop vac to suck it out, then either reuse or replace.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

In the Industry

I use a shop vac, once full, dump it onto a tarp. Move the filter, then begin refilling. I prefer to put pea gravel in until I am even with the laterals, then I add the sand til I get to the shoulder of the filter. This gives you the largest surface area for the water to be forced down into the sand.

15. Back To Top    #15

When you look at the top picture,the black part (spider port?) needs to come off to access the interior of the filter. Do I remove it where there appears to be a "collar" just above the gray part to access the interior? Is there a step-by-step process outlined somewhere on this forum?
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Minnesota

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes you pull the valve off at the collar.

This may offer some info: Deep Cleaning your Sand Filter
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Rigid PVC is MUCH less expensive than flexible PVC. You will have more labor and "expertise" required to install it. It is also much more durable long term. The long run along the ground I would do rigid PVC for sure, perhaps even support the pipe off the ground with small pressure treated wooden blocks and metal straps.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will have more questions in the spring when we get started.
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Minnesota