DIY Waterfall Questions

criegg

Oct 23, 2013
Vero Beach, FL
Hey fellas... Got a question and seeing if anyone has done this or if it can even be done.. Have a nice kidney shaped pool and i'm wanting to build my own waterfall.. However, not a normal way... Since I don't have the plumbing ran for it and do not want to spend ridiculous amounts of money to have it installed I had an idea....

Has anyone built there own rock waterfall, putting the pump inside the rocks, having an inlet feed directly into the pool beneath where the water would fall(so you can't see the tube when the waterfall is running) and then run the outlet to the top of the waterfall and have it hidden? Running the electric out of the back...

I'd love to see some pictures if any of you have done it... Thanks for taking the time.. Appreciate it!!

-Chuck

I am assuming this pump would be just for waterfall. If so, certainly your idea will work. Your only challenge will be hiding he inlet line, Putting a grate on it for safety, I think the only way this could be accomplished is if you had this waterfall actually "falling" into the water. Then the line can be hid behind it. Very similar to how some people do waterfalls in their back yard ponds or flowing rivers.

I am assuming this pump would be just for waterfall. If so, certainly your idea will work. Your only challenge will be hiding he inlet line, Putting a grate on it for safety, I think the only way this could be accomplished is if you had this waterfall actually "falling" into the water. Then the line can be hid behind it. Very similar to how some people do waterfalls in their back yard ponds or flowing rivers.

You nailed it... Pump is strictly for the waterfall... Most pumps already have an inline filter but I already plan on putting a 'filter' or 'grate' on the end to make sure nothing gets sucked into it... And yes, it will be hid behind the falling water of the waterfall so it would be hard to see...

My main problem is getting the correct rocks so I can place them around the pump and have it look good.. Anyone with pictures of their own?

I already plan on putting a 'filter' or 'grate' on the end to make sure nothing gets sucked into it...
I think you misunderstood. Any suction port in a pool should be VGBA compliant for safety reasons so no one can be held underwater by the pump suction. This means it is not a simple grate but a cover designed to prevent entrapment. Ideally, you want two separate suction ports separated by at least 3' and each having a VGBA compliant cover.

Also, I would be concerned about having a pump at the edge of the pool. You will need to make sure the power is routed by code (i.e. conduit underground), GFCI protected and pump bonded to the pool. An extension cord over the pool deck is a big no no and is asking for trouble.

But here is the thing, if you have to dig for power, you might as well dig for plumbing instead and set back the pump from the pool.

I'm with you mas.. Problem is I already have power ran over there which I can run conduit... Where my pool pump is, is on the exact opposite side under the pool deck and opposite side of the pool... I might be able to set the pump back further to my fence line, and run the inlet and outlet hoses back but then GPH and pressure/volume comes into play there.. Some things to think about...

- - - Updated - - -

I think the idea is a simple pond pump? No suction issues with that I believe?

Yes, just something small... I'm thinking an 800 gph... Quite small

A pond pump is low head and low flow so it will only give a short gentle waterfall. Is that what you are after?

But I think you will still want VGB compliant suction ports because people, and perhaps some quite small, will be swimming close to it.

Yes, just something small is what i'm after... I dont' want a 1 1/2hp pump lol.. Not a problem doing that... I'm thinking though now of putting the pump further back towards where the power is and then running 2 lines for inlet and outlets... Trying to put a picture together.. Give me a few more minutes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hopefully you're able to zoom in.. I sketched out where i'd like to put it and where my power is located..

2400x3199.jpeg.00ecc2066e1a42f3b940ebd917700d43.large

Shouldn't be too hard... Can use that 'coping' that bands use to cover electrical cords at events...Should only need 1" tubing.. Possibly think of something else..

- - - Updated - - -

Or I make the waterfall large enough to go back far enough to the grass and cut off the walk way and bury the tubing...

Second method would be better. However, you don't want to use too small of pipe because a small pump is already disadvantaged. 1" pipe might lead to a dribble by the time it got to the waterfall.

I like the idea. I think that if you used clear tubing or painted your inlet tubing a shade of blue like the pool it would be fine if you hid it under the waterfall.

Buy some MA while you are at it because water features like that will create a rising ph issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea. I think that if you used clear tubing or painted your inlet tubing a shade of blue like the pool it would be fine if you hid it under the waterfall.

Buy some MA while you are at it because water features like that will create a rising ph issue.

Thanks.. Clear tubing is my first choice, going to see how that works.. Also, thanks for the tip about rising ph... Always have MA on hand just in case...

I have the power/tubing side down, what i'm looking for now is to see how someone like myself(a DIYer) laid out these rocks or artifical components for that matter... I'd like to see if anyone did it themselves, so I can see the best rocks to use and the best way to stack them... Thanks!

It seems to be quite difficult to get a good seal when putting grout between rocks. Mine leaks a good bit backward and onto the deck instead of into the pool. I would really like to do something to improve ours as it is quite ugly :D

The easiest install are the prefab fiberglass waterfalls that just sit in place over the edge of the pool. They are usually white and then have to be painted to look like natural rocks. I had one at my previous house.

How about cinder block with a veneer coat of stone? Or stacked pieces of flagstone. Or if you are going to stack stones you will need to set with a landscape block adhesive and grout with mortar and a piping bag and a small joint tool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.