Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Expansion Freeze Plug Numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

Expansion Freeze Plug Numbers

I thought I would easily be able to Google up an answer to this but had no luck. It’s been a while since I posted a question last but I know the great folks here will have an answer for me.

It’s about the sizing of expansion freeze plugs. I have noticed that freeze plugs are distinguished by numbers and that there are 3 different plugs for a 1 1/2“opening (#08, #09, #10). I have a couple of plugs that are wearing out and I am wondering what the difference between a #08, #09 and #10 plug is since they all fit 11/2” openings. Could one of the gurus out here please enlighten me? Thanks!
    26,000 gallon IG Vinyl Lined, Hayward DE2400 Filter, Hayward SP2610X15 1/2 HP pump, Dolphin Sprite robot, open May to October

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Expansion Freeze Plug Numbers

They are tapered rubber plugs. #8 will fit in deep and need to be tightened up to grab. #9 will fit best. It goes in about 1/2 way. #10 barely fits and only goes in a little bit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Expansion Freeze Plug Numbers

Thank you JamesW. I can't believe how hard it was to find that answer but TFP never lets me down!
    26,000 gallon IG Vinyl Lined, Hayward DE2400 Filter, Hayward SP2610X15 1/2 HP pump, Dolphin Sprite robot, open May to October