Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clarification please on Baking Soda vs Soda Ash/Washing Soda

1. Back To Top    #1
    Clermont, Florida (that's near Disney World)

Clarification please on Baking Soda vs Soda Ash/Washing Soda

I need to raise my pH and TA a little bit:

pH is 7.4
    TA is 50ppm

I am not clear on what I have in this bag labeled Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate

I think I answered my own question: on the other side of the brown bag which I hadn't looked at it also says: Alkalinity Increaser. There is a chart for how much to add to increase the alkalinity by 10ppm, 20ppm etc. I am pretty sure this is baking soda.

Just to be safe I am going to add half the recommended amount and measure later in the day
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl
    5) Hayward 1.5 hp DE 3600 72 GPM

Taylor K-2006
    STA-RITE Great White GW9500

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clarification please on Baking Soda vs Soda Ash/Washing Soda

Yes, that is baking soda. It will increase TA significantly, and increase PH by only a tiny bit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Clermont, Florida (that's near Disney World)

I put in 40 oz (by volume) Baking Soda and already (after only 3 hours with the pump running) the TA climbed to 60ppm. Will check the TA and pH again in the morning to see if I need to add more. I just checked through my measurements for the past 16 months and I think if the TA stays at 60 and I can get my pH to 7.5 that could be the happy place where it could stabilize. Once the TA gets higher my pH has a tendency to keep climbing. My CYA is right at around 30, probably more like 25, if I add some stabilizer to get to about 35, what effect will this have on my pH and TA?
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl
    5) Hayward 1.5 hp DE 3600 72 GPM

Taylor K-2006
    STA-RITE Great White GW9500

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think it will have any effect on your PH or TA. CYA (aka stabilizer) slows down the loss of chlorine to the sun, but it also commits some of your chlorine to the stabilizer thus making it unavailable which is why you will need to maintain a higher level of chlorine as a result.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by langerking View Post
    My CYA is right at around 30, probably more like 25, if I add some stabilizer to get to about 35, what effect will this have on my pH and TA?
    No effect really.

I would suggest getting your CYA up to about 40, even 50 would not be bad. You are in sunny Florida and the sun is hard on your chlorine. Keeping the CYA low does not make the chlorine more effective, it just allows the sun to burn it off quicker.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Using PoolMath, go to the bottom of the page and insert the chemical you are adding to the section, "effects of adding chemicals", and PoolMath will calculate all the changes.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process