Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on pool winterization

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on pool winterization

Hi,

Just before the season is over, I had to drained my plaster ingound pool completely due to high CYA. Then I painted the pool surface and now it is ready to be re-filled. But the season is almost over in northern CA.

So can I wait till the season starts next year to fill the pool then, or keeping the pool empty may cause damage to the pool plaster, as I read somewhere?

Thanks in advance for the input!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on pool winterization

I vote for fill and close properly to prevent any damage, be it from groundwater or otherwise.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't speak for your area but we need to keep our in ground pools filled just so they won't pop out of the ground.
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Fill and winterize, that ensures no issues in the spring.