Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, need to repair single union

1. Back To Top    #1

Help, need to repair single union

Hi,

I bought a house with a pool last year. There is problem with the union ball valve to the skimmer.
    the handle is missing and the square thing that is used to turn the ball valve by the handle is also broken(worn, see attached picture).
    the part # from the picture is Hayward SP722-E.

Is this fixable without cutting the pipe? if so, how and where to get the parts. I tried searching and reading for a long time, but I couldn't find/figure it out.

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help, need to repair single union

Welcome to TFP!!!

I do not thing that valve is repairable. This is why we rarely recommend the use of PVC ball valves. They eventually stiffen and break. Much more recommended to use the pool valves (although yours were Hayward) like the Jandy Neverlube or equivalent from Pentair or Hayward.

You could use a single 3-way valve, since you are going to have to do a good bit of plumbing anyway.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. My pool has pvc ball valves also, but they have a union on each side so the valve could be replaced if needed. With yours, everything from the pump to the two valves would have to be replaced since you don't have any extra space to make a cut and repair.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

He can cut right at the valve and there is a little extra space to glue the new valve and the a new elbow going down.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

how about a double union after cut? how much room do I need on the cut side using a double union(any suggestions)?

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm in a similar situation right now as my main drain cheap-o valve was not holding air lock when I closed. I cut it out and plugged the line with an expandable plug. By the time I open in the spring, I'll have to replace. My set up is VERY similar to yours: A union already there between the pump and T-fitting and no room on either side. My setup has a 4-way split rather than your 3 way T (3 suction lines go to pump). I'm planning on replacing it all from the pump all the way to each suction line with 3 new valves. I thought about having the skimmers on a common valve but would like to be able to isolate one or the other for heavy suction vacuuming if I want to.

Currently the sticker shock of 3 Jandy Neverlube valves is tough to swallow so I'm also trying to figure out how to do it just right this time around.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

That does not look like enough pipe anywhere to me to have a good solid connection.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Me either. Chop em and replumb using a good 3-way...you'll be happy you did.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

Only other issue is that you are going to have to buy a new Pentair union for the pump connection as well. Actually, maybe not, you may be able to use a fitting one size larger to fit on the outside of the union and then use a reducer to drop back down to your normal pipe size.

Also back the pump up if you can to leave some pipe exposed for the future if needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

You can get inside pipe extenders which work really well in situations like this. You should be able to find them online and they will not reduce your flow that much.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

In the Industry

^. I agree on the inside fittings, that is one tight place to get another union properly glued together.

12. Back To Top    #12

I guess I tend to see the inside fittings as band-aids (maybe unwarranted). They will certainly have to add head loss. But, they would make the repair quicker which is maybe why it is the ITI guys that tend to suggest them
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

If you open both union ball valves and the union at the pump, you can remove the whole section and have access to the union ball valve internal parts. You can buy the parts as needed or just buy the whole new valve and use it for parts. The stem is removable and easy to replace.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    If you open both union ball valves and the union at the pump, you can remove the whole section and have access to the union ball valve internal parts. You can buy the parts as needed or just buy the whole new valve and use it for parts. The stem is removable and easy to replace.
    and we all over look the obvious ... good catch James
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Upon closer inspection, the hole where the stem goes through the valve looks like it might be damaged. It might not be worthwhile replacing the stem if the hole is too damaged. It should be considered before deciding what to do.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That does not look like enough pipe anywhere to me to have a good solid connection.
    Right before the valve there is a good 1/2 inch or more of pipe, if he cuts right at the valve, he can use that to glue the new valve to. Unless I'm not looking at the picture correctly.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Just not sure if that is a street elbow or a regular one, also looks like a coupler might if been used to make the sizing all match? If its a coupler, that just adds more problems...

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    Right before the valve there is a good 1/2 inch or more of pipe, if he cuts right at the valve, he can use that to glue the new valve to. Unless I'm not looking at the picture correctly.
    You need about 2" of pipe to put a fitting on. 1/2" is not going to be robust.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Based on the condition of the valves, it might be best to replace both valves and the pump union.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You need about 2" of pipe to put a fitting on. 1/2" is not going to be robust.

In a perfect world Yes, but I could make that work. Been there and done that and it's quite a job to replace all that pipe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast