Taking the plunge!

8:00am - I got another 12 bottles from my local Lowe's - they are now out of bleach.

CL 0.2 (lost ground but probably due to the lower dosage last time) PH 8

Here are the pictures:

[attachment=1:dedog0b0]DSCF0171.JPG[/attachment:dedog0b0]

[attachment=0:dedog0b0]DSCF0170.JPG[/attachment:dedog0b0]

The color is still awful and I did get a lot of fizzing after adding the next 4 bottles (182oz 6%). I brushed down the sides before adding the bleach this time. The water is just a bit clearer (I know it is hard to see) but inside the skimmer, I can see the bottom of the basket in a fuzzy sort of way - yesterday, I could only see the top rim of the basket so things are definately better. There is just so far to go.

Will test again at 9 - I want to continue hourly tests until the CL starts to climb - then I'll probably slow down but right now, it is being consumed as soon as I add it. I know it takes a couple of hours to even out the level throughout the pool but I can't wait that long at this stage of the game.

Attachments

• DSCF0171.JPG
    DSCF0171.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCF0170.JPG
    DSCF0170.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 353
Thread moved to appropriate forum .

Yes, when your FC holds overnight, the Baq is dead and you are in the home stretch.

The basic criteria to know when you're done shocking are

your FC holds overnight and you lose less than 1ppm;
your CC is .5 or less;
your water is sparkly.

Good luck with a speedy conversion!

Welcome :wave:

I am assuming I need to get this pool to 10-12PPM CL and hold it there for several days to kill all this junk - does that seem correct?
That's pretty much correct. You just keep adding chlorine as it drifts down from that 10-12ppm level. Sooner or later, that 10-12 level will remain in your pool overnite and you're virtually done.

Plan on changing out your sand in the filter but only after you're able to hold that overnight chlorine level.

Here's the 9am report - CL 0.6 PH 8.2 - a lot of fizzing after adding 4 more bottles - got to go across town to get more so I probably won't report again until 11. Here are pix.

[attachment=1:yuh1wmbl]DSCF0172.JPG[/attachment:yuh1wmbl]

[attachment=0:yuh1wmbl]DSCF0173.JPG[/attachment:yuh1wmbl]

I'm probably stuck with this color until I get the CL up. Filter pressure is climbing 2-4psi every hour so I must be getting a lot of Crud out of the water (I'm backwashing about every other hour).

Attachments

• DSCF0172.JPG
    DSCF0172.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCF0173.JPG
    DSCF0173.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 329
One of the times the chlorine level is really low you should lower the PH down to between 7.2 and 7.4. That will help the chlorine be more effective.

You are making wonderful progress. The more baq goo you can backwash out of the filter the faster everything will go.

JasonLion said:
One of the times the chlorine level is really low you should lower the PH down to between 7.2 and 7.4. That will help the chlorine be more effective.

You are making wonderful progress. The more baq goo you can backwash out of the filter the faster everything will go.

I was planning on waiting to add the acid but if you think it would help the process, I'll pick some up on this trip to get bleach.

11:00am - CL 0.8 PH 8.2

Added 80oz Muriatic acid - 8oz at a time slowly in the return jet flows.
Added 4 more bottles of bleach.

Will test again at noon and post results and pictures - it will probably take a couple of hours for the acid to get will dispursed. I am pleased that the CL level is up a bit - there may be a light at the end of the tunnel yet. Bought 30 more 182oz bottles of bleach and 2 gal muriatic acid.

Noon report - CL 1.0 PH 7.6 - no apparent color change.

OK, it looks like a little progress on the CL and the PH. I'm going to wait another hour before trying to drop the PH any more. Added 4 more bottles of bleach.

[attachment=1:q4du39ec]DSCF0174.JPG[/attachment:q4du39ec]

[attachment=0:q4du39ec]DSCF0175.JPG[/attachment:q4du39ec]

I plan to backwash again this hour.

Attachments

• DSCF0174.JPG
    DSCF0174.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCF0175.JPG
    DSCF0175.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 288

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't checked the pool store on prices (I'm still upset with them over all the wasted money trying to get the algae out)I got 30 more bottles of bleach but will check the pool store if I need more. The calculator calls for just 3 bottles this time. Will have to dilute pool water to test mext time as my tester only shows levels up to 3 - Is it OK to use tap water for this?

1pm readings CL 3+ PH 7.4 - looks like were beginning to make progress. Yes, I have been adding CL on the hour and the acid on the 1/2 hour.

2PM - CL3 PH 7.4 - added 4 bottles. I just added 3 last hour and the CL stayed constant so I went to 4 this hour to try to keep elevating it. Lots more "Fizzing" when I add CL now. Maybe the lower PH or, perhaps it is just more active because the pool environment is a little more "Friendly".

Anyway, here are the 2pm pix:

[attachment=2:1cnfe20m]DSCF0179.JPG[/attachment:1cnfe20m]

[attachment=1:1cnfe20m]DSCF0178.JPG[/attachment:1cnfe20m]

I am also seeing a very yellowish color on adding CL:

[attachment=0:1cnfe20m]DSCF0177.JPG[/attachment:1cnfe20m]

This is almost urine colored - it fades in a few minutes. It does this in both the deep end and the shallow, the shallow picture showes the color better because of the white steps. Is this typical? I am no longer getting any Baqua scum so it is probably dead and I'm just fighting my massive algae patch.

Attachments

• DSCF0179.JPG
    DSCF0179.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCF0178.JPG
    DSCF0178.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCF0177.JPG
    DSCF0177.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 262
3pm - CL 3 PH 7.3 - Added 4 more bottles. No real visual change, the water is clearing a bit at the surface but you can't tell from the photos.

Oh, the tap water is filtered through a Brita filter and I can't measure any CL with my kit so it shouldn't skew the dilution.

5pm - Vacuumed pool to waste (I couldn't see what I was doing but I figured getting some of the crud off the bottom ought to help reduce my bleach usage.

Took the Baqua stuff to the pool store and they offered to swap me 50lbs of cal-hypo 68% for 4 bottles of Baquacil - they don't carry liquid chlorine so I took them up on the offer.

6pm - CL 4 PH 7.2 - Added 4lb cal-hypo 68% - WOW! I've got a foaming milky mass of water in just a few seconds.

[attachment=0:1ie5d51e]DSCF0181.JPG[/attachment:1ie5d51e]

It must have found some stuff it didn't like! I'm not planning to keep using this stuff after the conversion is done but the price was right and it does put on a good show.

Attachments

• DSCF0181.JPG
    DSCF0181.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 222
JasonLion said:
Baquacil conversions are known for their dramatic appearances. Enjoy the show while you have it. Once you are done the pool will only be the same old sparkling blue day after day after day.

I can take a little boredom involving "Sparkling Blue".

8pm report CL 12!!!!! That 4 pounds of cal hypo really kicked the cl in the tail.

I'll test once more before I call it a night. The carpet of "Snow" is breaking up. Now to hold the level - I ought to get my test kit tomorrow so I can see what the readings really are - I got the 12 by diluting 1 part pool water with 3 parts tap water. The kit reads 3 so 3x4=12 if my math serves me.

austinsmom01 said:
I'm enjoying the show! Keep the pics coming! Popcorn anyone?

Always glad to provide the entertainment.

10:00pm - CL 9 PH 7.4

Added 24oz (by weight) Cal-Hypo

Too bad it is dark - I can see much improvement in the color of the water but it doesn't show in the pictures. Added more cal-hypo and it fizzed quite a bit but nothing like the first time. According to the pool calculator, that ought to get the CL back to 12. I'm going to call it a night and see what the morning brings.

Attachments

• DSCF0186.JPG
    DSCF0186.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 195

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.