Natural Gas or Heat Pump for NJ pool?

Oct 19, 2014
Robbonsville, NJ
I am in central New Jersey, with a 30k gallon in-ground L-shaped Vinyl pool. Pump is behind the pool so trenching a NG line is not really an option. Propane tank and heater, perhaps, but HP is best choice today due to layout limitations (power already there with mature landscaping).
How big a heater? 110k BTU ? More? Pool gets a lot of sun, but some shade. Pool didn't break 80 deg this summer, but hit 82 last summer during heat waves for a bit. Ideas? Is Heat pump sufficient to get to 83 deg here in NJ ? How expensive to run? How mush power do the really draw? 30 Amp x 240? 40+? Could use some advice. Thank you!

Hello, and welcome to TFP!

I'd like to start you off by showing you a quick video on the key differences between a Gas heater vs a Heat Pump. Regardless of which you pick, the best investment you could make to help heat your pool is a quality solar cover. Keeping the heat in is key under all conditions.

With your situation, not having NG available without added cost of trenching and propane is expensive, get the largest heat pump available. You will need a dedicated 240 service so you would have to add the cost of an electrician to run the line from your main panel to the equipment pad.

In my mind it really has to do with how you intend to use the heater. A heat pump is best for maintaining temperature 24/7, while a gas heater is much better for "event" heating (i.e. for just a day or two at a time).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.