Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Natural Gas or Heat Pump for NJ pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Natural Gas or Heat Pump for NJ pool?

I am in central New Jersey, with a 30k gallon in-ground L-shaped Vinyl pool. Pump is behind the pool so trenching a NG line is not really an option. Propane tank and heater, perhaps, but HP is best choice today due to layout limitations (power already there with mature landscaping).
    How big a heater? 110k BTU ? More? Pool gets a lot of sun, but some shade. Pool didn't break 80 deg this summer, but hit 82 last summer during heat waves for a bit. Ideas? Is Heat pump sufficient to get to 83 deg here in NJ ? How expensive to run? How mush power do the really draw? 30 Amp x 240? 40+? Could use some advice. Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Natural Gas or Heat Pump for NJ pool?

Hello, and welcome to TFP!

I'd like to start you off by showing you a quick video on the key differences between a Gas heater vs a Heat Pump. Regardless of which you pick, the best investment you could make to help heat your pool is a quality solar cover. Keeping the heat in is key under all conditions.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

With your situation, not having NG available without added cost of trenching and propane is expensive, get the largest heat pump available. You will need a dedicated 240 service so you would have to add the cost of an electrician to run the line from your main panel to the equipment pad.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

In my mind it really has to do with how you intend to use the heater. A heat pump is best for maintaining temperature 24/7, while a gas heater is much better for "event" heating (i.e. for just a day or two at a time).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School