Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low chlorine with SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Low chlorine with SWG

I am using Jandy's SWG with their ChemLink system. It seems like that the chlorine level is staying too low in the pool. Since the ChemLink is suppose to control chlorine production based on ORP it's a little tricky. My OPR is now set at 650 and the chlorine is only 1.5ppm

FC - 1.5
    CC - 0.5
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 60
    CH - 275
    CYA - 60 (it was at 40 last week and I added more conditioner 5 days ago. the actual number might be a little higher)

The water looks clear, but I noticed a little algae forming in corners of steps when I didn't brush for about two weeks. That was several weeks ago.
    27K gal, IG pebble, Jandy JEP2.0 VS ePump, Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy SW with ChemLink C1900, Zodiak MX8 vacuum
    The pool was repiped and new equipment installed Nov 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low chlorine with SWG

We do not trust the ORP controllers ... especially for outdoor pools that have higher CYA levels (like we recommend). The ORP can bounce all over the place and thus make the FC bounce all over. We recommend using the typical % output setting for SWGs as it results in much more predictable FC levels.

If you are seeing algae, then you likely need to complete the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process before you start to dial in the SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, Jason. It's hard to take a step and just turn the ChemLink off. Is there a way to turn ORP off but keep it for pH? I spent last 8 months fighting to make it work right, and finally it is
    27K gal, IG pebble, Jandy JEP2.0 VS ePump, Jandy DEV60 filter, Jandy SW with ChemLink C1900, Zodiak MX8 vacuum
    The pool was repiped and new equipment installed Nov 2013.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I know the Hayward Sense and Dispense that has the ORP and pH sensors allows you to turn the ORP off and just run the SWG in % mode. I was hope that you would be able to do the same in the configuration setup.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Since the 650mV reading is just a reference point for the controller, I think it is better to just add chlorine to the desired ppm, read the ORP and set the controller to keep it to that level. In this way you have calibrated the controller loop to your swimming pool. This procedure HAS TO BE REPEATED from time to time. The aim is to keep the chlorine concentration to an optimum level. The ORP reading is just a way to convert chlorine ppm to mV. The SWG controller will decide to turn on/off the chlorine production depending of the ORP reading. This is the how the system was designed to work. The SWG controller will keep the chlorine in the pool at optimum level and the SWG cell will be used only when is necessary.
    South of France inground rectangular 17k pool - ruber membrane. Sliding dome, black thermal blanket covering 75% of the pool surface. Aqualux 3/4Hp pump, glass media sand filter, Zodillac robot, 110W UV-c lamp, Hayward brominator, Caliente 12kW heat pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

But the high CYA levels and even the amount of sun hitting they pool will affect the ORP level. I seems to be much more problematic than you are starting based on many user reports.
    Jason, TFP Moderator