Contact lenses and pool sanitation

Noreen

Oct 19, 2014
North Brunswick, NJ
Hello,
I am brand new to the group and am about to become a new pool owner. Just signed the contract today for an unground fiberglass/kevlar pool.
Still haven't decided to go with salt water or the Frog mineral hybrid system yet. My daughter and I both wear contact lenses and I would like to know anyone's thoughts on what world best.
The gym that I go to has salt water chlorination and I do very well swimming with my contacts. Does anyone know how the Frog mineral hybrid system works for contact lens wearers?
Thanks so much!

Welcome to TFP!

There shouldn't be any difference between them at all as far as contact lenses go.

On the other hand we strongly recommend against using the Frog system, or any other system based on putting metals in the water. While they can help prevent algae, they run a risk of causing unsightly stains which are either expensive/difficult or even impossible (depending on the situation) to remove.

As JasonLion said, well balanced pool (and by that I mean TFPC levels) should cause little to no eye irritation. Contacts will not cause any issues either way.

So that aside, as a former Frog user I will say please don't waste your money. The mineral pac is full of potentially staining metals and the chlorine pacs are highly marked up trichlor tabs. We switched to manual chlorine addition using TFPC methods and are much happier. Bettef results for less money. An SWG is a great way to automate chlorine addition without adding excessive CYA or metals that the Frog will add.

From myHTC One via Tapatalk

Do you open your eyes under the water, or keep them closed? Even keeping mine closed my contacts get a little dry from the bit of water that runs into my eyes. I haven't even ever tried to open the with my lenses in, don't want to lose one or have to use a new pair.

If you do wear contact lenses in your pool, you should discard them immediately afterward. Acanthamoeba is found in swimming pools and is not killed by chlorine or any other "sanitation" method.
This is pretty sensationalized. Read the information provided in the link that JVTrain posted. The risk is very very small in a private residential pool.

So that aside, as a former Frog user I will say please don't waste your money. The mineral pac is full of potentially staining metals and the chlorine pacs are highly marked up trichlor tabs. We switched to manual chlorine addition using TFPC methods and are much happier. Bettef results for less money. An SWG is a great way to automate chlorine addition without adding excessive CYA or metals that the Frog will add.

I can't speak to the Frog system, but I can vouch for the affordability of a SWG. Other than electricity to run the pump and some water here and there to top off the pool, I spend about $10 per month on muriatic acid.

If you haven't, I would recommend reading through the TFP Pool School before you make a decision. It's a lot to take in, but understanding how all of the chemicals work together is very helpful in determining how you want to sanitize your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.