Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Contact lenses and pool sanitation

1. Back To Top    #1

Contact lenses and pool sanitation

Hello,
    I am brand new to the group and am about to become a new pool owner. Just signed the contract today for an unground fiberglass/kevlar pool.
    Still haven't decided to go with salt water or the Frog mineral hybrid system yet. My daughter and I both wear contact lenses and I would like to know anyone's thoughts on what world best.
    The gym that I go to has salt water chlorination and I do very well swimming with my contacts. Does anyone know how the Frog mineral hybrid system works for contact lens wearers?
    Thanks so much!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Contact lenses and pool sanitation

Welcome to TFP!

There shouldn't be any difference between them at all as far as contact lenses go.

On the other hand we strongly recommend against using the Frog system, or any other system based on putting metals in the water. While they can help prevent algae, they run a risk of causing unsightly stains which are either expensive/difficult or even impossible (depending on the situation) to remove.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

As JasonLion said, well balanced pool (and by that I mean TFPC levels) should cause little to no eye irritation. Contacts will not cause any issues either way.

So that aside, as a former Frog user I will say please don't waste your money. The mineral pac is full of potentially staining metals and the chlorine pacs are highly marked up trichlor tabs. We switched to manual chlorine addition using TFPC methods and are much happier. Bettef results for less money. An SWG is a great way to automate chlorine addition without adding excessive CYA or metals that the Frog will add.

From myHTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

If you do wear contact lenses in your pool, you should discard them immediately afterward. Acanthamoeba is found in swimming pools and is not killed by chlorine or any other "sanitation" method.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Do you open your eyes under the water, or keep them closed? Even keeping mine closed my contacts get a little dry from the bit of water that runs into my eyes. I haven't even ever tried to open the with my lenses in, don't want to lose one or have to use a new pair.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by cobix View Post
    If you do wear contact lenses in your pool, you should discard them immediately afterward. Acanthamoeba is found in swimming pools and is not killed by chlorine or any other "sanitation" method.
    More on this from chem geek here : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...oeba-keratitis
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cobix View Post
    This is pretty sensationalized. Read the information provided in the link that JVTrain posted. The risk is very very small in a private residential pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    So that aside, as a former Frog user I will say please don't waste your money. The mineral pac is full of potentially staining metals and the chlorine pacs are highly marked up trichlor tabs. We switched to manual chlorine addition using TFPC methods and are much happier. Bettef results for less money. An SWG is a great way to automate chlorine addition without adding excessive CYA or metals that the Frog will add.
    I can't speak to the Frog system, but I can vouch for the affordability of a SWG. Other than electricity to run the pump and some water here and there to top off the pool, I spend about $10 per month on muriatic acid.

If you haven't, I would recommend reading through the TFP Pool School before you make a decision. It's a lot to take in, but understanding how all of the chemicals work together is very helpful in determining how you want to sanitize your pool.
    23K gal, 38' x 22' irregular, gunite, StoneScapes Mini Pebbles, 2 HP TriStar 2spd pump, 525 sqft cartridge filter, TurboCell SWG, ProLogic controller, The Pool Cleaner 2 Wheel