If you had to do it over again would you make the same SWG Choices?

expo

Aug 30, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
I have come to the reality that I cannot keep up with my pool. I now understand why folks opt for tablets and shocking because it looks easier.

I can't go that route but am seriously considering dropping the money on a SWG.

If you had to do it over again would you make the same SWG choices? What do you have and why is it the right choice for you? Would you have done something differently if you could?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 by supernatural powers

I'll answer your question this way: My last house had a salt water pool. Once initial startup was complete, it was extremely easy to maintain. Once a week I would check the chemistry, add acid, and adjust SWG settings if necessary. Most weeks, this took less than 10 minutes. I am so happy with the great results and simple maintenance that I chose to put in a SWG for the pool I'm building now. In fact, we chose SWG over the natural stone that we originally wanted to go with.

As long as you are prepared to add acid one or twice a week, SWG is definitely the way to go.

After a couple weeks of dosing with chlorine, I got a SWCG (see signature). Have been pretty happy overall. I had some issues with my original unit. The company has since re-designed the unit, and haven't had any issues since I installed it (about 7 months.) You could go with a injection (peristaltic) pump and liquid chlorine or a siphon system/liquid chlorine.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...Injection-System?highlight=homemade+injection
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/28577-I-ve-defected-to-the-dark-side!-New-peristaltic-pump

Installing a SWCG isn't too difficult. I did my own. You can get a good deal on the Compupool CPX series. I'm happy with that unit.

After a couple weeks of dosing with chlorine, I got a SWCG (see signature). Have been pretty happy overall. I had some issues with my original unit. The company has since re-designed the unit, and haven't had any issues since I installed it (about 7 months.) You could go with a injection (peristaltic) pump and liquid chlorine or a siphon system/liquid chlorine.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...Injection-System?highlight=homemade+injection
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/28577-I-ve-defected-to-the-dark-side!-New-peristaltic-pump

Installing a SWCG isn't too difficult. I did my own. You can get a good deal on the Compupool CPX series. I'm happy with that unit.

I will look into that diy project.

Also i have not heard of the CPX. I will add that to my research list.

I went with SWCG right from the beginning and I'm now just finishing my second season using one. Since I live in CA, my pool stays open 365 days a year and I've used it probably the whole time (temp never went under the minimum). I chose Pentair, because I was doing a complete system with Automation and wanted the extra warranty that comes along with using all the same branded components. Like said above, maintenance is pretty easy, because I only check the water 3-4 days out of the week and only add acid 1-2 times per week. I know that a couple more years and I'll probably have to buy a new cell, but in the end it will be worth it. Right now I typically only spend about $10.00 a month to take care of the pool.

I have a SWG, and I couldn't be more pleased. I check pH and chlorine once or twice a week in the heat of summer and adjust SWG as necessary with a twist of a dial. Add muriatic acid once every couple of weeks. Couldn't be easier.

I have a Circupool Si40. I have had no problems with it, but it is less than a year old. I do not have any automation other than an Intermatic timer, so the Pentair was not for me. The Autopilots are nice, but too expensive for my taste. I could have easily gone with Hayward or Compupool, but at the time I bought, Circupool seemed like the best value. I am happy, but I probably would be happy had I chosen another brand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see the cost of replacing the SWG every 5 to whatever years is akin to a new set of tires. We moan and groan and our hand shakes when we sign the credit card slip, but are happy to have them!

I'm happy with the choice I made, except for the fact that my cells have only lasted 2 seasons each. My latest IC40 has worked for 2 seasons now, and I'm crossing my fingers that it will last a few more years this time.

I'll answer your question this way: My last house had a salt water pool. Once initial startup was complete, it was extremely easy to maintain. Once a week I would check the chemistry, add acid, and adjust SWG settings if necessary. Most weeks, this took less than 10 minutes. I am so happy with the great results and simple maintenance that I chose to put in a SWG for the pool I'm building now. In fact, we chose SWG over the natural stone that we originally wanted to go with.

As long as you are prepared to add acid one or twice a week, SWG is definitely the way to go.
+1

I have only had my Pentair IC40 for seven months but it has worked fine so far. Cell on time can only be adjusted in 20% increments, so you have to adjust pump run time to make smaller adjustments. That's a bit of a PIA but an extra minute is not that much trouble.

I built my pool as a salt pool. Planned it with a vinyl over concrete deck, no coping at all (cantilevered deck edge). No natural stone anywhere. All so I could have a SWG. Without SWG I'm not sure I would even have a pool. If my unit completely failed, I would have a new SWG system on order within hours.

Yes.

Our pool was new to us last summer. I had two algae outbreaks from forgetting to add bleach for a day or two. I DIY installed the SWG in a day. Best move ever with the pool. No algae since, havn't had to slam, and I've gone 2 weeks without testing the water to find all levels good to go.

Get a cell twice the size of your pool. The ratings on the cell are if you run the pump 24/7...

Yes.

Our pool was new to us last summer. I had two algae outbreaks from forgetting to add bleach for a day or two. I DIY installed the SWG in a day. Best move ever with the pool. No algae since, havn't had to slam, and I've gone 2 weeks without testing the water to find all levels good to go.

Get a cell twice the size of your pool. The ratings on the cell are if you run the pump 24/7...

Which SWG did you go with?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.