Can you help me pick out a replacement pump / motor?

expo

Aug 30, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
My current pump is LOUD. It is outside on the other side of the wall I am currently at and it is still loud. It is 1.5 hp wired 110. (pics at the end)

Here are my questions,

1. Can I replace it with a 2 speed pump and if so is there a way to automate the two speeds? That's pretty much the only way I would go 2 speed.

2. My pool is not covered and I run my kreepy krawly the 6 hours a day my pump is running. If I went with a 1 speed replacement, which do you think I should I go with?

3. Should I just replace the motor or the whole thing?

4. I am pretty handy. How difficult is it to get the impeller off the motor?

Thanks for the help.

bWBBTaMl.jpg

Swe3oXpl.jpg

Link to full size image in case you need to read the motor label. (A.O. Smith USQ1152 - Mod. C48L2PA105C5)

http://i.imgur.com/Swe3oXpl.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
1. Yes, you can replace the motor with a two speed and you can control it with either a manual switch or a two speed timer.

2. As long as you don't have any high flow rate requirements, nearly any pump will do but the smaller the better for energy savings.

3. If the wet end is in good condition, I would just replace the motor. It saves on re-plumbing time.

4. Sometimes it can be hard to get off. But if you have a strap wrench, it can help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.