Will Kreepy Krauly Platinum get DE out of the pool?

Your best bet would be to use the sand silt bag but I am still not sure if that would do the trick. Part number: 360002

If the problem is caused by a still present hole in the grids or manifold then the problem will occur until it expels all your DE. Then you'll put in more DE and start vacuuming all over again and so on and so on. This problem will be like a snake eating its own tail; we're just going around in circles.

How did the DE get into your pool in the first place?

It's a long story, actually. The pool service tech who started up all the equipment when the pool was filled never put any DE in it and it was running for 3 weeks without any. When I discovered this I also discovered the wrong filter was installed all together. So until someone could come out and install the quad DE filter that I ordered, I was forced to open up the grid filter and clean it out as the pressure was very high. It took a lot of work to clean the funk off the grids but I was able to get them looking decent again (albeit a little discolored). I inspected all grids and the manifold very thoroughly, but I could not find even the smallest tear or crack anywhere. So I put it all back together and added the recommended amount of DE (12 coffee cans) slurry. Shortly after, I noticed some water was leaking out of the air relief valve, so I stopped the pump and opened the air relief valve so that I could unscrew it and maybe re-seat it. However, when I opened the valve, a lot of DE started backing up into the pump and then shortly after, it started flowing out of my main drains and skimmers. I think there was a leak in my liquidator line causing the backflow from the filter. So I opened up the filter again and there didn't seem to be any DE on the grids. So I'm guessing I've got 6 lbs of DE floating around in my pool. It settles to the bottom and you can't even see it's there until you start brushing. I didn't even bother adding any more into it since the messed up grids are not going to end up being my problem. Hopefully with the new filter and the vacuum I'll get it all sucked out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.