Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alwys a very small layer of water around the base of pumping station...

1. Back To Top    #1

Alwys a very small layer of water around the base of pumping station...

TFP,

This is my first post here and over the year the comments are extremely helpful. Everything with my 30k in ground pool is working great however since I purchased the home I have noticed the following:

1) A small moistened area around the base of the pumping station. Almost like there is a very slow leak somewhere.

I checked all around, looked for drips, etc.... nothing. I guess what I'm asking is it normal to see the cement base for the pumping station have a small moistened layer of water or does it suppose to be completely dry all the time??? I have also noticed since the area generally stays a bit damp that there is a very small amount of green algae around the base of the pump (not pipes) as well. The pipes, pump, filter... everything looks clean and working normally. I'm just a bit concerned about the base of the pumping station to avoid a problem down the stretch.

Thanks,
    Big Tony
    Houston, Tx.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Alwys a very small layer of water around the base of pumping station...

It sounds like a seal on your pump, IMO it's not right to always have moisture there.

3. Back To Top    #3

Interesting.... I'll need to do a bit more research on it. Even the pool water level remains intact, no water loss at all from the pool from what I can tell...

4. Back To Top    #4

Inspection mirror and a bright flashlight are in order. Leaky pump seal will not cause pool water level to drop noticeably but will likely reveal itself with close inspection on the underside, streaking, small drips etc. Wipe under pump housing along seams between motor and impeller sections as you can with a paper towel, after you look at it with a mirror.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

5. Back To Top    #5

Will give it a go with a deep dive look at the pumping station and report back......

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, a leaking seal/gasket can eventually cause bearing failure which is a much more expensive fix so it would be a good idea to fix the leak as soon as possible.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I guess what I'm still confused about..... is it normal at any time to have a small amount of condensation/water at the base of the pumping station? I'll look guys and reverify yet I'm trying to understand the typical "working as expected" situation.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would say no. There should be an explanation for any water at the pump. Rain/dew/condensation is ok, water due to user intervention (intentional draining/cleaning/etc.) would be ok. If you can't explain it, though, it needs to be fixed.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

Roger that... let me start trying to locate what is causing the little puddle...... I will share my findings in hopes others can learn from it as well.
    Thanks again!

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree that it is probably a leaky seal. For some pumps, such as the Superpump, you can use a flashlight to look under the pump to see the drip.

What pump do you have?

11. Back To Top    #11

Not sure what type, I'm a bit of a newb to pools. Will check it out and post and update...

12. Back To Top    #12

In Houston on a sunny/warm day there should only be condensation in the morning, and if you wipe it off it doesn't come back until the next day. The same as when you find condensation on your car in the mornings. Unless you have found the key to keeping ice cold water in the pool you should not see any condensation during the heat of the day.

You may have a slow leak at the shaft seal, or the drain plug could be loose.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Alwys a very small layer of water around the base of pumping station...

My equipment constantly has some form of moisture around it. But it is outside so it could be dew or irrigation or any number of other things. If the equipment is inside and you have water around the base, there is a leak. I would also suggest wiping the underside if the pump off between the wet end and the motor and looking for evidence of moisture. They you could even stick a paper towel under that joint and leave it to see if wet spots appear.

If it is something as simple as a drain plug, party.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

14. Back To Top    #14

Okay... will give it a try. Still trying to figure out what type of pool pump.

15. Back To Top    #15

If you post a picture, we could probably identify the pump.

16. Back To Top    #16

Could it be ground water. If so, you'd probably see it build up underneath all equipment on the pad.

35000 gal oval, vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS, Tagelus sand filter, Pentair Minimax NT heater, Pentair model 320 chlorinator. Billings, MT.
    35000 gal in ground 22X40 oval (35 y.o.) w/ Vinyl liner (new 8/14) , INTELLIFLOŽ VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump, Purex/Triton Tagelus sand filter (TA 60/60D), Pentair Minimax NT NG Heater, Pentair Model 320 inline chlorine feeder w/ tube extension, 2 Hayward 1084 skimmers, 2 returns, 1.5" lines all-around