What does everybody do with existing irrigation when installing a pool?

JayBauman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 5, 2014
Katy, TX
I know from previous experience, the PB will wreck any irrigation heads/valves/lines near the pool....and away from the pool. If it's in the yard, it's fair game for destruction. I only had to replace 5 zones last time.

Getting ready to dig on Monday. I'm thinking of pulling up my irrigation system in my side yard where I'll be putting the pool. This will allow me to either 1) put it back together myself for nearly free, or 2) save some $$$ if I hire an irrigation guy to fix everything. I've looked at the prices for valves, pipe, and heads at Home Depot. I'd rather reuse that replace.

Am I overthinking this? What does everybody else do?

We're in the process of that right now actually. I just tried to take pictures or mental notes of what they did to the existing stuff.

The excavator just demolished several lines and I had them cap off any lines that they cut. The landscape guy is still in the process of rerouting everything. I'm not really sure what I could've done different at this point.

If I pull everything out myself, theoretically I can use some of the components again. I can already see 4 zones that are very likely to be affected....and all the front zones are fed from lines that go through my future pool. I really don't want to pay to have 8 zones rebuilt, so I'm trying to think ahead.

Only ended up reusing the timer / control box and solenoid valves and irrigation box. Everything else i just replaced. It was way easier to just use new heads and piping. I kept the old sprinklers (ones that weren't smashed) for parts. In the grand scheme of things, I spend over $60K for a pool, so why not spend another $150.00 for new sprinklers.

Only ended up reusing the timer / control box and solenoid valves and irrigation box. Everything else i just replaced. It was way easier to just use new heads and piping. I kept the old sprinklers (ones that weren't smashed) for parts. In the grand scheme of things, I spend over $60K for a pool, so why not spend another $150.00 for new sprinklers.

I had them rip it all out. Seven zones. I replaced with 12 zones mostly drip. But I redid my entire rear yard. Almost nothing was left standing. If you have good valves save them. The rest isn't really worth it.

This is reasonable. Yesterday, I pulled out the heads. I'll "rescue" the valves sometime after excavation and before completion....I think I have several right where my floating sidewalk is supposed to go.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

Pull the valves and heads and make sure that the main supply pipe stays in tack. Even if it means cutting it shortly after it exits the house. Pipe is cheap. Heads and valves not so much.

Also, you may want or need different heads after your pool is done and the landscape changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My dig intersected all 8 zones .. 4 near the pool were completely wiped out. I just reconnected the 4 that ran to the front (with a new path around the pool) and installed new for the 4 in the backyard. For me, it's easier and cleaner to just buy new pvc. 1 inch is not very expensive and you will save yourself the excavation and cleaning work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.