Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What does everybody do with existing irrigation when installing a pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What does everybody do with existing irrigation when installing a pool?

I know from previous experience, the PB will wreck any irrigation heads/valves/lines near the pool....and away from the pool. If it's in the yard, it's fair game for destruction. I only had to replace 5 zones last time.

Getting ready to dig on Monday. I'm thinking of pulling up my irrigation system in my side yard where I'll be putting the pool. This will allow me to either 1) put it back together myself for nearly free, or 2) save some $$$ if I hire an irrigation guy to fix everything. I've looked at the prices for valves, pipe, and heads at Home Depot. I'd rather reuse that replace.

Am I overthinking this? What does everybody else do?
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What does everybody do with existing irrigation when installing a pool?

We're in the process of that right now actually. I just tried to take pictures or mental notes of what they did to the existing stuff.

The excavator just demolished several lines and I had them cap off any lines that they cut. The landscape guy is still in the process of rerouting everything. I'm not really sure what I could've done different at this point.
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

If I pull everything out myself, theoretically I can use some of the components again. I can already see 4 zones that are very likely to be affected....and all the front zones are fed from lines that go through my future pool. I really don't want to pay to have 8 zones rebuilt, so I'm trying to think ahead.
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8

4. Back To Top    #4

We are in the middle of our build. Two stations are affected. We are putting in new lines due to the fact that the original plumbing is over twenty years old
    50' by 20' geo/free form
    3' to 10' depth, 42kish, 2 Cartridge, 2 VS pumps
    2 Aquapure 1400

5. Back To Top    #5

Sprinkler repair was included in our contract along with new zones for the flower beds around the pool. If you know it's going to get destroyed by the diggers then pull the valves and heads.

6. Back To Top    #6

Only ended up reusing the timer / control box and solenoid valves and irrigation box. Everything else i just replaced. It was way easier to just use new heads and piping. I kept the old sprinklers (ones that weren't smashed) for parts. In the grand scheme of things, I spend over $60K for a pool, so why not spend another $150.00 for new sprinklers.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

I had them rip it all out. Seven zones. I replaced with 12 zones mostly drip. But I redid my entire rear yard. Almost nothing was left standing. If you have good valves save them. The rest isn't really worth it.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang View Post
    Only ended up reusing the timer / control box and solenoid valves and irrigation box. Everything else i just replaced. It was way easier to just use new heads and piping. I kept the old sprinklers (ones that weren't smashed) for parts. In the grand scheme of things, I spend over $60K for a pool, so why not spend another $150.00 for new sprinklers.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    I had them rip it all out. Seven zones. I replaced with 12 zones mostly drip. But I redid my entire rear yard. Almost nothing was left standing. If you have good valves save them. The rest isn't really worth it.
    This is reasonable. Yesterday, I pulled out the heads. I'll "rescue" the valves sometime after excavation and before completion....I think I have several right where my floating sidewalk is supposed to go.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

9. Back To Top    #9

We are replacing ALL of ours (smaller yard) and between the age of system, puppies (now grown) and the pool build it's worthless at this point.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

10. Back To Top    #10

Pull the valves and heads and make sure that the main supply pipe stays in tack. Even if it means cutting it shortly after it exits the house. Pipe is cheap. Heads and valves not so much.

Also, you may want or need different heads after your pool is done and the landscape changes.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

11. Back To Top    #11

My dig intersected all 8 zones .. 4 near the pool were completely wiped out. I just reconnected the 4 that ran to the front (with a new path around the pool) and installed new for the 4 in the backyard. For me, it's easier and cleaner to just buy new pvc. 1 inch is not very expensive and you will save yourself the excavation and cleaning work.