Want to close pool, but water not cold enough

fozzie

Gold Supporter
Oct 13, 2013
Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
Hi all,
I really need to get pool closed this weekend, the tree dirt is just too much to bear any longer and the wind doesn't want to stop:mad:
Water temp is 63, do you think I will be safe if I add Polyquat 60?
Test readings this afternoon were:
CYA 80
Cl 7 ppm
TA 60
pH 7.4

thanks for any advice!

I see your from PA. I would think you could get away with not using the polyquat. Are you going to totally close as in blow out the lines now ?
If your not you could bring it up to shock level right before you blow out the lines. If your going blow out the lines now I think you would still be ok in just bringing it up to shock level. Your water is going to get really cold and your FC will hold a long time with the pool covered and cold water.
If you want to add the polyquat I think you add it after you bring the FC up to shock level for a day. It will lower your FC a good bit. You may want to retest the FC and bring it back up after a day. I've never used the stuff. ?

I'm in NJ, also at 63, and closing this weekend. This is normal for me. I never have a problem and never use PolyQuat. Well, I did use it my first close in 2005, but not since then. I can't wait for below 60° or the leaf onslaught makes closing impossible until after the freezing temps hit. It has always been below 65°, however. I do open in the 50°s.

We would like to totally close this weekend. No need to blow out lines according to our PB, they use flexible pipe and it's embedded in the concrete footer around pool, so at least we can save that step. I think I will skip the polyquat and make sure to open early enough in the spring. I see the weather is to be "breezy" all weekend, ugh... It will be a miracle if we can close it without any dirt in the pool. Thanks for all your replies:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.