Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Want to close pool, but water not cold enough

1. Back To Top    #1

Want to close pool, but water not cold enough

Hi all,
    I really need to get pool closed this weekend, the tree dirt is just too much to bear any longer and the wind doesn't want to stop
    Water temp is 63, do you think I will be safe if I add Polyquat 60?
    Test readings this afternoon were:
    CYA 80
    Cl 7 ppm
    TA 60
    pH 7.4

thanks for any advice!
    13K gal, 16x32 IG vinyl, Hayward SuperPump 3/4 HP, Hayward Perflex DE filter, AquaRite SWCG T-15. Hayward SharkVac. AquaCal T-115 heat pump. Built Oct 2013. TF100 test kit. Borated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Want to close pool, but water not cold enough

I think you'll be ok. Take your FC up to shock level and use the polyquat 60 as some extra insurance. Open as early as you can. Preferably when the water temp is in the 50's. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Btw, I plan to raise chlorine to shock level of 31 before closing
    13K gal, 16x32 IG vinyl, Hayward SuperPump 3/4 HP, Hayward Perflex DE filter, AquaRite SWCG T-15. Hayward SharkVac. AquaCal T-115 heat pump. Built Oct 2013. TF100 test kit. Borated.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by fozzie View Post
    Btw, I plan to raise chlorine to shock level of 31 before closing
    I posted before you posted this. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, when do I add the polyquat? after shock level is reached and then has fallen half way?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    I posted before you posted this. ��
    I saw that LOL!

6. Back To Top    #6

Want to close pool, but water not cold enough

I see your from PA. I would think you could get away with not using the polyquat. Are you going to totally close as in blow out the lines now ?
    If your not you could bring it up to shock level right before you blow out the lines. If your going blow out the lines now I think you would still be ok in just bringing it up to shock level. Your water is going to get really cold and your FC will hold a long time with the pool covered and cold water.
    If you want to add the polyquat I think you add it after you bring the FC up to shock level for a day. It will lower your FC a good bit. You may want to retest the FC and bring it back up after a day. I've never used the stuff. 😎
    Jeff

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm in NJ, also at 63, and closing this weekend. This is normal for me. I never have a problem and never use PolyQuat. Well, I did use it my first close in 2005, but not since then. I can't wait for below 60 or the leaf onslaught makes closing impossible until after the freezing temps hit. It has always been below 65, however. I do open in the 50s.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

We would like to totally close this weekend. No need to blow out lines according to our PB, they use flexible pipe and it's embedded in the concrete footer around pool, so at least we can save that step. I think I will skip the polyquat and make sure to open early enough in the spring. I see the weather is to be "breezy" all weekend, ugh... It will be a miracle if we can close it without any dirt in the pool. Thanks for all your replies

9. Back To Top    #9

I think you'll be fine without the polyquat. Open early.😎
    Jeff