plugging return jets

May 15, 2014
canada
I am in the process of closing the pool for the first time. The pool is drained and all plugs removed form filter, heater, pump etc. I am ready to put the cover on, except I can not figure out a good way to plug the return jets. I have removed the eyeball and the ring around it and I went and bought some #10 rubber expansion plugs. However, the plugs were a little too big. I even took the nut and washer right off to get it to the smallest point and it still just would not go in. So, I took them back hoping they had a smaller one, but they do not.
I went to another store and tried to find something similar, but no luck.
So, I got home today and looked at them again. I tried just putting a bathtub plug in, but it was too small. I did notice though, as part of the jet, there is an inner ring that screws in - I have not removed this. I tried by hand to remove this on both of my returns, but I could not.

My questions are - if I remove this inner ring (which was not removed the previous winter before I owned the house) I assume the #10 plug will then fit. But how do I get it off? I feel like using pliers may damage it?

Or, is there anybody who has any idea of how I could plug the returns with some sort of home made plug? I already tried pool noodles but my antifreeze just slowly leaked out.

Thanks for your help.

They make a tool like this to remove the part your talking about. Unless you can come up with something else to remove it. I think it's called an eyeball seat removal tool. ?
b810a0b9e528e0f72796bb8271d11228.jpg

Thanks guys. I just tried a old putty knife that was the perfect size. I put so much torque into it and the ring would not budge. So, is there anything else people use to plug their return jets? Or, what if I leave them unplugged, or only loosely sealed? I beleive when the pool was opened (I wasnt home, but a friend came and helped my wife do it) there was just 'foam loosely placed in the returns and she said that no water or antifreeze came out when that was removed. It wasnt in tight, but just loosely places inside... I dont know, Im just at a bit of a loss right now.

Have you used pliers on the putty knife? I have at times really had to come on to it to get it to budge. Thy will come out unless someone glued them in. I wouldn't trust any other way to seal a return without removing the threaded ring. My luck the water would find a way into the piping and cause me expensive repairs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.