Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dreaming of a trouble free pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Dreaming of a trouble free pool!

Good morning!
    This is my first post and I'm looking forward to learning how to properly care for our pool. We've had it two years and have had some problems with algae. Before we got the pool it was literally a bullfrog pond for about 3 years. I just got my TF-100 kit in the mail and here are my numbers:
    FC 11
    PH 6.8, possibly a tiny bit higher but not much
    TA 50
    CH 100 PPM
    CYA 60
    CC 1
    TC 12

The bottom of the whole deep end has visible green algae. Water is somewhat dark. Pool is in full sun and it's still warm here in SC. I would love to know what to do to get the pool going in the right direction.
    Thank you so much!
    Deanna
    In-ground pool with a vinyl liner in Ladson SC. Sand filter newly installed in 2013. 18'x24'. 18,000 gallons. We now have our TF 100 kit. This is our third year having the pool and we're interested in learning how to have a trouble free pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dreaming of a trouble free pool!

Welcome to the forum!

With visible algae, you'll have to SLAM it. Have you been through Pool School yet?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

I've read pool school a few times but now that I have my nice test kit I can really get serious. I just added 3 bottles of 8.25% bleach to bring my FC up to 24. I'm going to go brush the pool right now. I bought some disposable skimmer socks. Should I be using those during SLAMing?
    In-ground pool with a vinyl liner in Ladson SC. Sand filter newly installed in 2013. 18'x24'. 18,000 gallons. We now have our TF 100 kit. This is our third year having the pool and we're interested in learning how to have a trouble free pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP !
    I wouldn't use the socks right now while slamming. They will catch a lot of junk and could starve your pump of water if you don't stay on top of them. Let your filter do it's job. Make sure to backwash when pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure.
    They are a good idea to use though. Especially in pollen season. They catch a lot of stuff before it hits your filter. Just need to check them often and clean them out. I use them all the time. Only had to backwash my filter once this season.
    Make sure you follow the slam process to the T. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your advice on the skimmer sock! I'll definitely follow the SLAM process to the T. I'm going out to check my chlorine level again right now and I brushed my pool twice today so far.

6. Back To Top    #6

NICE! Someone that wants to take care of their pool the TFP way AND already ordered their test kit! Can we clone you?????

You are heading in the right direction. Did you take a good picture so we can watch your pool clear up? Most people will take a picture of their steps/stairs so they can see how clear it gets!

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Hehe, thank you! I'm going to give it my best shot. I didn't even think of taking a picture, but I believe somewhere I have one from when it was a bullfrog pond when we first got it. I've even got some pictures of the frogs. Thankfully those days seem to be behind us. I'm happy to report that I can now see my entire shallow end and the water in the deep end seems to be more blue. YAY! I appreciate the help!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like your making some good progress. Nice work !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

How fast of a rate should you pour the bleach into the pool? I've been pouring it in the stream of the two water returns. Just wondering whether I should pour really slowly, or pause every minute or so, etc. Should I pour some near the skimmer also? The first time I poured bleach in (before I knew better) I went around the whole pool and poured a small stream around about 10 inches away from the liner. It seemed to quickly help. Is that something I should not do any more?

10. Back To Top    #10

I would just keep pouring it front of a running return. Then it gets mixed in well. I just pour in a steady stream that's not splashing if that makes sense. Somewhat slowly. You don't need to to dribble it in. 😎
    Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

Got it, thanks.

12. Back To Top    #12

Pour it so that the stream leaving the bottle is about the size of a pencil.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

13. Back To Top    #13

Good evening!
    I just tested my water and my CYA is 60, which means that my FC should be 24 while SLAMing. My FC is currently 36.5. I must have gotten overzealous with the bleach. Do I need to do anything to bring it down or just test again tomorrow morning? What FC level would be too high and potentially dangerous to my liner, equipment, etc?

14. Back To Top    #14

You would have to leave it above 34 for days upon days to have any detrimental effect on the liner. It will come down quickly enough.

15. Back To Top    #15

Good morning all!

I just wanted to say that our pool looks excellent now. I appreciate the help and great advice! We are going to close our pool today by tarping it, in addition to winterizing the pump, etc. I will re-read the threads on this forum about closing to ensure we do it right. We've built a PVC structure that goes across the pool so that the tarp has a pitch in the middle and water will roll off the sides. The tarp will be big enough to deflect water away from the pool. We have a second tarp (our tarp from last year-a little holey) that we are going to put on top of this tarp as a sun protector. I'm hoping that will give our new tarp some more life and be easier to clean. We will be weighting the sides down with water bags and bleach bottles full of water! My question is, what shock level should I bring the pool up to (if any) before tarping and closing for the year. Here in SC we do get freezes but they are not too frequent and do not usually hold during the day.

16. Back To Top    #16

Your shock level will be based on your current CYA level. 😎
    Jeff

17. Back To Top    #17

YATFPSS

(Yet Another TFP Success Story)

Grats on getting rid of your bullfrogs. Though I won't believe it until I see it. Before and after pics please!
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

18. Back To Top    #18

I really do need to post some pictures. This is the first forum I've ever been on so I'm not very good at it, hehe. I'm not much of a "computer" person. How long will I need to leave it at shock level before I can turn off my pump, etc?

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Deanna

You simply add enough bleach to reach the SLAM level and let it circulate for 30minutes then you should be good to tarp it and put the equipment to "bed" for the season.

And yes, you need to post some pictures
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!