HELP Getting Started

Oct 12, 2014
ft worth tx
I have inground fiberglass pool with 20900gallons and Pentair FNS PLUS 60 filter. Pool was build in 1989. We broung the house and the pool came with it. No previous experience with pool. Pool is green and tried and tried chemicals from Leslie's pool recommendations... I received my TP-100 test kit today and excited to get my pool back to sparkling!!! My CYA is 0 my CH is 1075 and TA 120. I have little or no cholorine in the pool. I have read the directions for SLAMMING my pool and have the liquid chorline ready. My questions is do I start with the clorine and SLAM as the pool math calculator has indicated or is there something else I should do before starting this process. I am exhausted on spending $$$$ for chemical that are not working.

Thanks,
Sweet P:!:

Welcome to TFP !
Glad to see you've already read the SLAM process. Follow it to the T !
What's your PH ? You want it in the low 7's to start the the SLAM. Fix it first with acid if need be.
I would get some stabilizer (CYA) in there also. It will help protect your FC from the sun burning it off. I would shoot for a level of 30. Use the granular and put it in a sock in the skimmer basket or hang it in front of the return with the pump running. While that is dissolving you can start to add your liquid chlorine. Your shock level will be 12-14 with a CYA level of 30. No need to test for the CYA level, just assume it's there.
Use Pool Math for all your additions of chlorine and stabilizer.
Also your CH is really high. You may want to replace some water to lower that or your going to have to keep an eye on your PH so you don't have scaling. What's the CH of your fill water ? We can deal with that later after the SLAM. ?

What's your pH? You might want to add some cya to get you 20-30 ppm then start your slam. Put it in a sock then in your skimmer or in front of a return jet. Squeeze often to get it to dissolve quicker. What chemicals have you put in your pool based on Leslie's recommendation? If you used trichlor tabs or dichlor shock it's almost impossible to have zero CYA.

timerguy brings up a good point about the chem's you used already, that I overlooked.
You need to be sure your CYA really is zero, as that sets your shock level. For the CYA to be zero your CYA view tube would have to be full and still see the black dot. ?

Hi everyone...my PH is 7.5 My pool is 20900 gallons and I quit using chemicals due to equipment leak last week and was not able to run pump until repaired resulting in a greennnnn pool. Prior to equip leak it was light green and I was trying to fight algae with algacide and shock. Leak repaired 2 days ago. Just brought some more shock from Leslie's and liquid stablizer.

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is the 1st pool I have ever had.

Are you confident your CYA is zero ? What type of shock did you use last and what what type of chlorine have you been using up till now ? The CYA level is really important so you can set your shock level.
You should also lose your PH to 7.2 for the SLAM process. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.