Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH 8.1 - OK?

1. Back To Top    #1

pH 8.1 - OK?

My pool has always wanted to be above pH 7.8 and after having the pool for two years I found this article:
    http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/hiphpool.html
    which says that might be OK. Is it? I haven't added MA for a couple months now and it's staying at 8.1. What problems should I be on the lookout for? I use 50 ppm Borates if that matters.

Pete
    Pete
    15,000 gallons IG pebble, Sundek plus Luederstone, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter with SM-20-2 valve, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Pentair EasyTouch 4 panel, Pentair KreepyKrauly Platinum cleaner, Stenner 45M fixed 10 GPD pump with 15 gallon tank, new pool startup 10/2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH 8.1 - OK?

The issue with PH above 7.8 is that it is prone to metal staining and calcium scaling. Both of those can (at least potentially) be controlled in other ways, so relatively high PH level can work out, but if you have one of the risk factors they can be very problematic. Certainly this isn't something a novice should try, as the risk is simply too big. But if you know what you are doing and have taken metal staining and calcium scaling into account you can go that way, though I still don't recommend it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My recent post pretty much asks the same question:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ng-and-high-pH

I guess as long as PoolMath gives you a good CSI there should be no problem with calcium scaling.

I'm not sure what to do to figure out if there might be a metal staining issue.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Regular use of expensive metal sequestering can work, I have done this but once I got my Alk around 60 I found the Ph stayed stable.