Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's causing calcium fluctuations

1. Back To Top    #1

Ponte Vedra, FL

What's causing calcium fluctuations

I ran my waterfall to aerate the water to bring TA from 110 down to 80 since my CYA was at 80. I kept ph at 7.0 to 7.2 to speed up the muriatic acid process of lowering TA. Boy, did my TA drop. The final number was 60 TA, calcium also drop to 240. Over the summer calcium went from 300 to mostly 400, then 420 about a week ago prior to aeration. From what I read, calcium is like CYA in that unless you're doing a water change, it shouldn't really change.

I did add in 9 boxes of Borax with Muriatic per site's instructions but I don't think that should have any effect on CH, right?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: What's causing calcium fluctuations

Has to be testing error. Nothing you did should have lower the CH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: What's causing calcium fluctuations

I also don't understand this quote: "... I ran my waterfall to aerate the water to bring TA from 110 down to 80 ..."
    As I understand the Pool School, it's the acid that is supposed to lower the TA. All the aeration does is raise the PH back up.
    I can attest to the aeration raising PH, since I can add gallons of acid to my pool but the aeration from the spa spillover will raise my PH back up within a couple of hours. So quickly, in fact, that the acid doesn't even seem to have much effect on the TA.
    19,000 gal IG pool with Pebble-Tec, in-floor system, solar heat, waterfall, and spa with spillover
    Also SWG, variable-speed pump, cartridge filter, and water softener for feed line
    Water Testers: Taylor TF-100 and LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7