Replacing pump with VS pump and Aqualink RS4

bsk997

Aug 18, 2014
Irvine, CA
Hi Everybody!
Been reading the forum for quite a bit now trying to get ready for the pool in a home we just purchased.

The pool has a 2hp pentair whisperflow pump right now for the pool, spa, and two small waterfalls.
The pump seems to work fine and is fairly quiet but living in Socal makes the electricity fairly expensive so I was looking to replace the pump with the Pentair 011018 VS pump.
The potential problem I see is that it has an Aqualink RS4 controller. This is a fairly simple controller so it doesn't have controls for variable speed pumps. I'd have to upgrade to an Aqualink Touch or iAqualink to get VS controls I believe.
Can the RS4 still work with the VS pump? When I press Spa or Pool button on the controller, will it just run a full max? Then I would go on the actual VS pump to vary the time and speed it comes on throughout the day for filtering?

Very new to pools so pardon the ignorance.
Thanks!

bsk997 - Welcome!

You can do as you describe - manually control the pump speed.

If you are handy and comfortable working around electricity, another approach is to use a Pentair IntelliComm II Interface Adaptor. This device connects between your existing controller system and the pump and it signals the pump to change speeds based on the controller status. Up to four different speeds can be controlled. Once you set it up, your automation system controls it. I used one of these with my RS8 prior to my upgrade to the iAqualink and it worked fine. Here's a link to the Intellicomm II:
Intellicomm II

Mike

Thanks for the tip Mike!

Was it worth it to upgrade to the iAqualink instead? I'm a techy and like the idea of the iaqualink with a tablet controlling everything.
That might be a better option to control everything easily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.