Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is Magic Lube adequate for screw in winterizing plug

1. Back To Top    #1
    South-Central Pennsylvania

Is Magic Lube adequate for screw in winterizing plug

I put Magic Lube on the treads of my winterizing plugs (the ones with o rings). I then saw some post where teflon tape was used. Is the Magic Lube adequate to ensure the plugs don't bind in the return fitting? Or should I pull back the cover and redo?
    2013 HotSpring Grandee with Ace Sanitizing System
    25K IG vinyl pool with Alps spillover spa and waterfall. Build Date: June 2013
    Triton II TR100 Sand Filter, Pentair Master Temp 400 natural gas pool heater, Intellichlor SWG, Rainbow Chlorine Feeder
    Pentair VF filter pump, WhisperFlo 2 hp WFE-8 waterfall pump, WhisperFloFX 2 hp spillover spa pump
    Intellibrite 5G (2 pool and 1 in spa) lights :: TFT-100 test kit, Taylor K-1776 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Is Magic Lube adequate for screw in winterizing plug

Normally the threads aren't part of the sealing process. The O-ring is what gives you the seal. When there are problems, sometimes you can make the seal with tape on the threads.

While it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of wraps of tape on the plugs, you are probably fine if you got a good seal when you installed them.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

Is Magic Lube adequate for screw in winterizing plug

What John said ^^^. You could also put some of the pool lube on the o-ring itself. That's the part that does the sealing. 😎
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.