Proper way to plug return jets

Sep 11, 2014
N.E. Oklahoma
I plan to use rubber expansion plugs and the water level will remain a few inches above the return jets. The jets, I believe to be Pentair, consist of three parts: a retainer; the eyeball; and a threaded eyeball socket.

I took the three parts into my local pool supply store and the rep sold me plugs that fit into the eyeball socket, but the plugs are too small if I remove the eyeball socket. Is it okay to remove just the retainer and eyeball and plug -- or should I get larger plugs and also remove the eyeball socket to plug?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 267
I plan to use rubber expansion plugs and the water level will remain a few inches above the return jets. The jets, I believe to be Pentair, consist of three parts: a retainer; the eyeball; and a threaded eyeball socket.

I took the three parts into my local pool supply store and the rep sold me plugs that fit into the eyeball socket, but the plugs are too small if I remove the eyeball socket. Is it okay to remove just the retainer and eyeball and plug -- or should I get larger plugs and also remove the eyeball socket to plug?

I never get a good airtight seal using my threaded plugs. I always see tiny air bubbles while the mighty mac is on. Even after replacing the o-ring and/or using teflon. I wonder if my return fittings are somehow compromised.

I think I will try the rubber expansion plugs next year.

I never get a good airtight seal using my threaded plugs. I always see tiny air bubbles while the mighty mac is on. Even after replacing the o-ring and/or using teflon. I wonder if my return fittings are somehow compromised.

I think I will try the rubber expansion plugs next year.

I switched over 3 or 4 yrs ago to the rubber plugs and they work fine. I only use the o ring type in my skimmers with no problems.

With the threaded plug you can try some paste thread sealant on the threads. Make sure it's rated for PVC.
For large dia fittings I always use the paste sealant. ��

I've tried that too this year. The blue stuff. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the threads are the problem. May be the faceplate like the original poster. I am closed up now and use antifreeze as a backup, just in case. But when i open up next year, I will experiment with the faceplate and a blower to see if i can get to the bottom of this.

Just FYI - I decided not to use the rubber plugs because I was concerned they would not seal with the two slots that are inside the eyeball sockets. Instead, I removed the eyeball sockets and used threaded plugs with o-rings. I did use silicone lube on the o-rings but did not use sealant on the threads. I figure using sealant on the threads might be a good back-up but the o-ring should make an adequate seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.